High Society movie  » Movies  »
  • I especially enjoyed Holm, who presents her character with a wonderful mix of charm and facetiousness
  • I wasn't impressed with Grace Kelly, either

• by Orrymain

It’s been a long time since I’ve seen High Society, but the opportunity presented itself again recently, so I gave it a watch. Overall, it’s just a cute and bubbly movie with Grace Kelly putting on airs and Bing Crosby as the down the earth pal who just never goes away.

Louis Armstrong opens the movie in a really fun way. He and his band are on a

bus heading towards the story’s locale. He sings song and when it’s over, he says ‘end of song, beginning of story’. Then at the end of the film, he says ‘end of story’. I just love that personal audience contact moment.

Frank Sinatra and Celeste Holm are good together in High Society as a pair of journalists. I especially enjoyed Holm, who presents her character ...

• with a wonderful mix of charm and facetiousness.

The hit song ‘True Love’ is featured in this film, and it’s a wonderful under the surface theme for the movie. In a way, though, it’s out of place, considering that most of the film occurs in one spot — the mansion. To have this very carefree love scene on the ocean in the middle of it threw me out

of the story.

I wasn’t impressed with Grace Kelly, either. She was too aloof in the portrayal. I’m sure it was the interpretation of the character and that’s probably the thing — I didn’t care much for the character. I much preferred watching Lydia Reed, truth be told. She had spice and spunk in her role.

Overall, though, it’s a pleasant way to spend a couple of hours.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1117031027550431/k2311a0317/3.17.10