Murder on the Orient Express movie  » Movies  »
2.0
  • Again, there are so many people, there's no way to avoid it, but it made the movie a downer for me
  • I thought Lauren Bacall was wonderful, as well as Sean Connery
  • Had the ending not been so prolonged, or maybe with someone other than Finney, I might have enjoyed it more

• by Orrymain

I’ve never seen Murder on the Orient Express before, though I’ve often heard about it and have seen many commercials promoting various incarnations of it over the years. I’ve been curious about the Agatha Christie story for a long time, but for whatever reason never actually sat down and watched it until this past week.

You can’t argue with the fact that this movie has a stellar cast and a top notch

mystery. It is, in fact, a jigsaw puzzle with new and old pieces that have to be put together to form a complete picture. Accomplishing that is no easy task for anyone, including me as a viewer. It all begins with begins with the murder of a man named Ratchett (Richard Widmark).

It’s a mystery of 5 years prior that torments the train passengers. If you want to understand it and try to solve it, don’t plan on multi-tasking. It won’t work.

For me, the big wrap up is one long speech which just went on forever; I wanted action and not so much conversation, especially since so darn much of it is like a soliloquy by Christie’s much-used Hercule Poirot, played in this 1974 production by Albert Finney. Finney had great reviews, but I can’t stand him. He’s tone, his ...

• Murder on the Orient Express movie
      manner, and his odd voice just drove me up the wall, and thus this big, very long reveal had me ready to scream.

In addition, the big flashback scene where we see what happened also just went on too long. I understand the length due to this huge size cast, but it was unending, and I couldn’t deal with it.

Finally, the torture continued with the toast scene that also dragged. Again, there

are so many people, there’s no way to avoid it, but it made the movie a downer for me.

I’m not the fan of this movie that some people are, obviously. I thought Lauren Bacall was wonderful, as well as Sean Connery.

Overall, Murder on the Orient Express was just okay for me. Had the ending not been so prolonged, or maybe with someone other than Finney, I might have enjoyed it more.

Murder on the Orient Express movie

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1117031027530431/k2311a0317/3.17.10