Ambrosia Essence of a Man Eau de Toilette Fragrance  » Perfume  »
  • Unfortunately, this never made it to my brother's hands and all the more I leisurely ended up falling in love with it
  • Ambrosia smells softer than a hard masculine fragrance and definitely less overpowering than men's colognes or body sprays
  • I like that it's not super macho, it may actually smell a tad girly for a man
  • Though certainly I think that adds a modern flavor to the perfume because it's unlike anything a man's perfume should smell like which is straight but flat
  • I purchased mine at Macy's so I suggest you test it with your nose first to smell it for yourself

• by jhunie

I was very distracted by this scent the first time it was introduced to me. Actually, I was idly shopping for gifts and chose this as a present for my brother. Unfortunately, this never made it to my brother’s hands and all the more I leisurely ended up falling in love with it. I don’t find it odd to be wearing men’s colognes or fragrances, it’s something I’ve been doing for a while. My current discovery was Prada’s pour homme scent but Ambrosia’s Essence of a Man has a totally different take on masculine perfumes. It’s hard to look for a suitable scent that blurs out the line between what’s masculine and feminine, making it flexible for someone like me who admires a good balance between the two.

Ambrosia smells softer than a hard masculine fragrance and definitely less overpowering than men’s colognes or body sprays. Essence of a man has a more organic earth-toned scent without that cliched musky male odor. It’s also not the usual cool and heady potions or pheromone -infused scents that are meant to attract female attention, rather it smells mature and sweetly boyish. It gives a character of

strength with an understated mood. I can recall a few classic scents like Armani or Poison that resembles the same vintage-style perfumes. In short, it smells just like a walk along the shore when the ocean breeze greets your nose but with an earthy scent of a garden as well.

Just a spritz and this perfume calms me down. The fragrance has an airy powdery scent once sprayed as it adheres on skin, it could even smell somewhat like soap, clean and fresh. After a short while, you begin to notice that the scent slightly changes. That’s my favorite part when the sweet floral fragrance surfaces and you can smell the sharp notes flowing slowly. It must be the smell of Narcissus flowers which to my surprise smelt very similar to Ylang Ylang. There’s a bit of an energy but suppressed with the first dominant male scent. I like that it’s not super macho, it may actually smell a tad girly for a man. Though certainly I think that adds a modern flavor to the perfume because it’s unlike anything a man’s perfume should smell like which is straight but flat. Many of ...

• my friends were curious, I assumed they were also stunned by my perfume’s distinct odor.

So how does it last? Remarkably, it stays fragrant the whole time, until what’s left is a lingering scent of vintage leather. Though the feminine notes die eventually. I would have loved it to last longer. By examining the bottle, I found out that its major notes are Narcissus and leather - a weird blend. I already know Narcissus are rarely concocted to produce fragrances but to mix it with leather is an odd combination, which explains its unique scent plus the undefined contrast between feminine and masculine. Whoever made it was a genius! The perfume appears yellow on the clear glass bottle just like pure and concentrated fragrances distilled with water. The glass looks like a smaller wine bottle with a gilded atomizer.

My limiting vocabulary in describing fragrances won’t be enough to justify how this exactly affects me. Perhaps, what I’m writing here is my separate interpretation of the scent which is well beyond words can describe, as it is after all a sensual experience when training our noses to be both sensitive and critical of smells.

I’ve developed my personal taste for perfumes, one that’s practical and wearable for my standards. Accordingly, this fits into my hard-to-please nature while keeping it feminine but with a little tug towards the stronger masculine side of my self. It’s definitely one of the best men fragrances I’ve daringly tried and a great way to take a break from my usual womanly perfumes. I don’t know but this really captures the scent of the moment, for me. The only misgiving I can tell is the price at an expense of 84 dollars for an 85 ml bottle which is above the cost I commonly spend for a perfume. We know for a fact that men fragrances and products in general are often pricey with this as an example. I purchased mine at Macy’s so I suggest you test it with your nose first to smell it for yourself.

Essence of a man is a strongly recommended fragrance for the well-heeled men and of course women who want to possess a powerful feminine sensibility. Thus, I’ll give it a 9 (minus affordability).

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 5617031027260331/k2311a0317/3.17.10