“The Shack” by WM Paul Young novel
  • In reading the book I cannot say that I walked away with all my emotional problems solved and I did not even agree with a lot of what the book says but there is one thing to be said for the novel and that is that WM Paul Young did not mince his words or beat around the bush
  • I have no idea how to forgive someone such as Mack is asked to but WM Paul Young -and I believe God was very present in the writing of this novel because this novel transcends mere human thoughts and revelations- give(s) some excellent food for thought and leads into the examinations of our lives that many of us require

• by Blaire LaClare

I was loaned a novel called “The Shack” by WM. Paul Young and immediately put it under some of the papers on my bookshelf to soon forget it existed.

A time later, while fishing for other books to read, I lifted the papers and found the novel I had misplaced, “The Shack”.

I started reading it for lack of another book and soon couldn’t put it down.

The murder story in the novel is enough to make anyone interested -it is not a nice topic yet it is enthralling when only fictional.

The main frame of the novel is that a man named Mack is invited, supposedly by God himself, to a shack -to him it would actually be the shack- where his

daughter Missy was murdered.

Mack spends a weekend with God who is actually three persons -can anyone say ‘Trinity‘?

The lessons Mack learns from God were very hard but important to me.

In reading the book I cannot say that I walked away with all my emotional problems solved and I did not even agree with a lot of what the book says but there is one thing to be said for the novel and that is that WM Paul Young did not mince his words or beat around the bush.

“God’s” answers were harsh and made me almost dislike God for a while but I think the novel was right; The novel points out that we often hold on to grudges and bad experiences because,

• as bad as they are, they are familiar to us and give us some horrible sense of false security.

The novel shook these ideas upside-down along with pointing out that we should forgive people we find impossible to forgive -in this case Mack is asked to forgive the murderer of his daughter.

I have no idea how to forgive someone such as Mack is asked to but WM Paul Young -and I believe God was very present in the writing of this novel because this novel transcends mere human thoughts and revelations- give(s) some excellent food for thought and leads into the examinations of our lives that many of us require.

As any good novel, this novel did not center around two ideas only but

several including relationships, the rules God wants us to forget because what is really important is our mutual love and etc.

and etc.

I would very gladly read this novel again to make the answers more and more clear to me -or possibly not but they will likely help me make my own mind up about whether to accept what I hear or not.

Read this book, it is life changing or at least can be the opening one needs to reexamine and possibly change their life for the better.

Insight into God himself leading to insight into myself -or should it be “ourselves”?- is what this book offers -along with a little piece of God but I suppose what ‘little’ is to God is debatable!

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1716031026420231/k2311a0316/3.16.10