The Shipwreck Tavern
Al Cohen’s Mall, Havensight, St. Thomas, USVI 00802
  • They're grilled however you want them, and they're definitely more than big enough to share, but they taste so good I don't like sharing
  • I like to go there and try my luck on the gambling machines while I'm waiting for a burger, although I've never had to wait longer than 20 miutes for my food, no matter how busy they were at the time
  • It's a casual, laid back, and welcoming atmosphere, and I'd definitely recommend the Shipwreck Tavern for anyone visiting St. Thomas

• by Davis Tucker

The Shipwreck Tavern is in a great location for tourists and locals in St. Thomas. It’s very close to the cruise ship dock in Havensight, where most of the cruise ships pull in, and it’s also along the dollar safari bus route, so it’s easy for anyone to get there. When I lived in St.

Thomas, I lived on the east end of the island, but I made a point to go there at least once a month. The number one selling point for me was the air conditioning. Not many establishments on St.

Thomas are air conditioned, and it’s nice, cool, and even a little dark, which is a nice change on an island that’s usually sunny and hot. Another plus is that they’re open late, usually until

2 am, which is also uncommon in St. Thomas.

The burgers at the Shipwreck Tavern are island famous, and rightly so. I usually can’t resist getting a deluxe burger with everything on it. They’re grilled however you want them, and they’re definitely more than big enough to share, but they taste so good I don’t like sharing.

No matter how I order my burger cooked, it always comes out perfect. Even if you’re not hungry when you go there, chances are you’ll want one after you see one. The menu is pretty much all-American, but everything on it seems bigger and better than what you’re probably used to getting.

I don’t know what their secret is, but it works. Everything is also very affordable, because for around $10,

• give or take a little, you’ll walk away completely stuffed. The drink prices are also very reasonable, and they have great happy hour specials on well drinks and beer.

You can walk away feeling no pain for less than $10 during happy hour. It’s a great place to go if there’s a big game on tv, because they’ll show it on the big screen, and the place is big enough to hold a crowd. Even though they’re often busy, I’ve never had trouble finding a seat at the bar or at a table.

They also have pool tables and gambling machines. I like to go there and try my luck on the gambling machines while I’m waiting for a burger, although I’ve never had to wait longer than 20

miutes for my food, no matter how busy they were at the time. The service is always consistent and friendly regardless of who’s working, and there’s always a good mix of tourists and locals sitting at the bar who are usually up for good conversation.

It’s also a great place for husbands to take a break while their wives are shopping. It’s a casual, laid back, and welcoming atmosphere, and I’d definitely recommend the Shipwreck Tavern for anyone visiting St. Thomas.

Especially if you’re coming from a cruise ship, you’re tired of fancy food, and just want a good, filling meal. You never know, you could put a few bucks in one of the gambling machines and walk away with more than you came in with. It’s happened to me before!

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 716031026190131/k2311a0316/3.16.10