Redbox DVD rentals  » Business  »
  • I know they have them in Krogers, Wal-Mart, etc around here, so they're a pretty common sight
  • I thought they would only have older DVDs, the price being so low and all
  • The only thing I can say that I don't like is the mainstream movies
  • Every once in a while, I like an old-school scary movie

• by Ash Marie

I saw my first Redbox DVD rental kiosk in the Wal-Mart entry in Elkins, West Virginia. I had never seen one before, but soon they started popping up everywhere. I looked online and got some information, talked to some friends, and then decided to give it a try.

There are a ton of Redbox kiosks across the U.S., the website has a Zip Code search. I know they have them in Krogers, Wal-Mart, etc around here, so they’re a pretty common sight.

It works pretty much like a digital vending machine. Customers can either reserve DVDs online or at the kiosk, using a credit card(I don’t know if any debit card will work, because mine runs as credit for security reasons). There is no membership fee and the price is consistent. Renting

a DVD costs a dollar per day (plus sales tax), credited to your card. Once the DVD is dropped off, the charges stop. If the DVD is not returned in 25 days, the customer is charged 25 dollars total and then the DVD does not need to be returned because it’s just been purchased. There are no calls telling you that the DVD is due back, no late penalties, etc.

I’ve used Redbox many times and I’ve never had any problems. I haven’t been miss-charged so far, and I’m hoping I won’t be any time soon.

They have pretty recent movies, I’m surprised to say. I thought they would only have older DVDs, the price being so low and all. This week (I’m writing this March 12, 2009) they have Precious, Up ...

• in the Air, Where the Wild Things Are, Planet 51, and many other new DVD releases. I’m not sure if all locations have the same offerings, but I’m sure they don’t. I know ours has about 5 movies that I would like to see on the board and then the other 25 are things that I’ve never heard of or things that I wouldn’t really be interested in watching, but to each his own.

The only thing I can say that I don’t like is the mainstream movies. Every once in a while, I like an old-school scary movie. Even on the website, there are less than 40 movies listed under Horror, and almost all of them are brand new (Sorority Row, The Haunting in Connecticut, and so on.) If you’re looking

for the classics, hit up the movie rental place.

The website is really nice (http://www.redbox.com/) if you want some more information. It takes a while to load, but there is a ton of information, MPAA ratings, description, running time, and Yahoo Ratings for each of the movies offered.

Honestly, I personally think there is no where better to rent a movie. (I’m a little biased, because I just quit paying a monthly fee to rent somewhere, but I digress.) There’s no membership fee, no hassle, Wal-Mart here is open 24 hours, so there’s no closing time, DVDs get switched up frequently. If I want to keep it for 2 or 3 days, it’s still cheaper than going to the old store. I really like Redbox. (If only they had old school horror stories…)

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 4115031024820131/k2311a0315/3.15.10