Botswana Post  » General services  »
1.5
  • I found that really strange and rather weird
  • However, this is not the first country where I encountered such a system (Bolivia is one, as well) and after getting over that initial shock, I learned to live with it
  • Incoming mail seems to be a problem as before it gets to Botswana, it goes somewhere else in transit
  • By and large, I think BP can still improve the quality and range of their services
  • I would not really recommend using this entity for mail delivery at all especially if you have important documents to send

• by bethbarl

I am used to having a letter box and opening it to collect my paper mail. I always remembered waiting in anticipation for the postman especially when I am expecting letters and packages. I cannot imagine not having a postman in any place. But, such is the case here in Botswana. There are no postmen and there are no letter boxes in any house. People are obliged to rent post boxes at their local post offices or a private bag for letters and parcels.

I found that really strange and rather weird. However, this is not the first country where I encountered such a system (Bolivia is one, as well) and after getting over that initial shock, I learned to live with it.

I find this system really inconvenient unless I have a lot of bulk mail and perhaps a business. Then, I have to go everyday to the post office. But, as I

only have a few correspondence then this is not really practical as I have to make some trips to the post office just to collect one or two letters.

When I first I arrived here, I tried the post office using the post box of my husband’s office. Thrice, I ordered something online with the hope that I would get them quicker. I never received my purchases and fortunately, I got my money back. Since then, I have not used the post box anymore.

Incoming mail seems to be a problem as before it gets to Botswana, it goes somewhere else in transit. There are no direct flights to Botswana nor any ships which dock here (it is a landlocked country). I suppose mail pilfering is attributed while the goods are in transit.

Outgoing mail, however, is another matter. I actually used it several times to send some letters and cards to ...

• my family abroad and my mother always said that she got them all and in a reasonable amount of time (usually a week). Price-wise, a standard first class airmail letter to the U.S. would cost about Pulas 5 or less than a dollar which is not bad. Courier services may be higher as it involves door to door delivery.

Botswana Post also has an express courier service for within Botswana and the rest of the world. The usual mail, parcels and money order can be delivered anywhere in the country although I had no real occasion to use these services. Besides, the fees are quite high.

In terms of service, there is a lot of room for improvement. Although, the queues are not that long especially in the stamps section, the staff in charge of selling them are pretty slow in doing their work. A simple purchase of a stamp

can last for 15 minutes even if there are only 3 people in the queue. In the end, I abandoned this idea of sending letters to my family as I found it too time consuming just to post a letter.

By and large, I think BP can still improve the quality and range of their services. While rates are competitive for posting letters, I do not think that the services are commensurate. It is also not efficient as I never get my mail on time (not even local mail) and in a lot of instances, nothing (packages) arrives in the private bag I use. I would not really recommend using this entity for mail delivery at all especially if you have important documents to send. They might just end up getting lost or not arriving at the intended destination (if not registered). Your best bet would be to take a courier service.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 2515031024770131/k2311a0315/3.15.10