500 Days of Summer movie  » Movies  »
  • They tend to be very very predictable, formulaic and not very interesting and just not that amusing

• by endymion78

First of all, an admission. I had not heard anything about this film and would normally not see a romcom at the cinema. I only went because there was a free preview showing through Guardian Soulmates (strangely apt to see a romcom about failed relationships as a dating event). I got tickets for myself and a friend, and free wine after the

preview.

I am Jammie-as-a-dodger.

But back to the film. It is wonderful.

I am a cynic when it comes to romantic comedies. They tend to be very very predictable, formulaic and not very interesting and just not that amusing. (Exception: Sometimes they are so awful they are funny.) But 500 Days of Summer is nothing that you would expect. It is surprisingly charming, fresh ...

• and real (it is an independent production and feels almost like a documentary) and very very funny. The opening credit gives a clue: “Any resemblance to people living or dead is purely accidental … Especially you, Jenny Beckman … Bitch”

The humour is never forced but charming (no other film could get away with the tongue-in-cheekiness of dancing Bollywood-meets-Mary-Poppins style complete with cartoon

bluebird to ‘Make my dreams come true’). It is sometimes excruciating and reminiscent of The Office (”I’m going to the store-rom, do you guys want anything?” - “I think you KNOW what I want. [silence] Er Toner.”

The acting is … again, never forced, charming, and natural.

I can’t recommend it enough, watch it. And then buy the DVD. And the soundtrack.

500 Days of Summer movie

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1112031023780631/k2311a0312/3.12.10