Heritek Mobile Speaker SU-21  » Hardware  »
  • I thought it was pretty interesting how the Speaker also has an equalizer function and a repeat function
  • In addition, I like how you can use the remote and input the track number of a song, so you can jump from song to song instead of only being able to go to the next track
  • What I thought was the best feature about this device, however, was how you can plug in two devices at the same time (one portable device and one card)

• by Shadow Zero

The Heritek Mobile Speaker is a small stereo system that is specifically designed for playing music in portable devices (such as MP3’s, MP4’s, iPod’s, and even cell phones!), in MMC/SD cards, and in U disks. The Mobile Speaker also has a built-in radio function, a lithium ion battery (that is rechargeable), and a remote control. With these features, it’s almost a stereo rather than a portable speaker.

The Speaker is great for travel: it’s small, lightweight, produces great sound, and of course, it’s cordless. I thought it was pretty interesting how the Speaker also has an equalizer function and a repeat function. In addition, I like how you can use the remote and input the track number of a song, so you can jump from song to song instead of

only being able to go to the next track.

What I thought was the best feature about this device, however, was how you can plug in two devices at the same time (one portable device and one card). There is even a button on the remote that allows you to switch between these devices. I’m always doing something when I’m listening to music, so the last thing I want to do is stop everything that I’m doing to get up to change the music. With two plugged-devices into the Speaker, I can listen to a whole array of songs instead of repeating the same set over and over again.

Now, while the built-in rechargeable battery is a great feature, the battery itself doesn’t last very long. It only tends to last ...

• for about 60-90 minutes at best, which of course, isn’t very long. I’ve got MP3 Players and Flash Drives that are 2-4 GB big. That’s about 400-800 songs. For a device that only lasts about an hour, it will only be able to play 15-25 songs. That’s quite a small number. I could however, plug the Speaker into the PC and get unlimited use out of it; but then, it defeats the whole purpose of being a portable device. I might as well listen to music using my computer.

The device takes about 3-5 hours to charge. Warnings on the box and on the device itself say that you shouldn’t play it while it’s being charge or over-charge it; although, it failed to mention why. But I guess it might

drain the battery or something to that affect. So, to determine what happens, I used the Speaker while it was plugged in, thinking that it probably would drain the battery; but as long as I had it plugged in, I could have it on all the time (similar to always having your laptop plugged in). I was wrong with that assumption. Even while still plugged in, the device still only lasted 60-90 minutes. So, it’s possible that the device is not charging while music is playing even though it’s plugged in.

Overall, it’s a great portable device that’s very budget-friendly, but it’s not meant to be used for long hours. When at home, it’s best not to use it; just stick with a PC with good speakers or a regular stereo system.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 3312031023590631/k2311a0312/3.12.10