Precious movie - Based on the novel Push by Sapphire  » Movies  »
  • The performances were utterly amazing, and the adaptation to the screen from the book was brilliant
  • At the end of the movie, Monique's character is almost sympathetic, which is definitely not the case

• by Jessie Bahrey

I read the book Push that is the novel that the movie Precious is based on first, so that I could prepare myself for what everyone told me, and the previews indicated, was going to be a difficult movie to watch. When I watched the DVD, I was very happy I had read the book first, but although the movie was only slightly less heart wrenching and graphic than the book, it was also hopeful and uplifting. The performances were utterly amazing, and the adaptation to the screen from the book was brilliant.

The story of Precious follows the young, overweight teenager as

she transforms from a brutalized, illiterate and homeless victim to a confident, hopeful young mother. Yes, she is raped by her dad since the age of three and bears two of his children before she is 16, but she is also abused by her mother. Monique’s portrayal of the mother, which earned her an Oscar, was nothing less than shocking, even though I knew it would be. The fact that Gabourey Sidibe was able to play the role of Precious in her first movie is equally amazing to me. The supporting cast, including Lenny Kravitz, Mariah Carey and Paula Patton, also put ...

• in brilliant performances. There were some differences between the book and the movie which I noticed. At the end of the movie, Monique’s character is almost sympathetic, which is definitely not the case. In the movie, Precious uses the technique of imagining herself as a famous star while she is being raped and abused, whereas in the book, this is more of a constant internal dialogue. But the basic themes are all here; Precious learns to read and write, and because of a very few people who believe in her, especially her beloved teacher Blue Rain, she is able to beat the
        horrific odds and escape the nightmare that is her life.

I loved this movie, and although it is slightly less graphic than the novel, it is still a story that is touching and hopeful. Incest is not a topic many people want to talk about, but it does happen, and with this movie, hopefully incest victims will be able to come forward more easily. No matter which genre of movies you normally watch, Precious is a must-see for everyone. Do not be scared off by the previews, which are dark and vicious, and just see watch this movie, which will certainly be talked about for years to come.

Lin Wade says :

Would you recommend the book? Honestly I picked up the movie as a spur of the moment thing and I was surprised but how good and shocking it was. It was something I saw the previews for and overlooked, but I ended up enjoying it.

Jessie replies :

Hi Lin Thanks for the question. Yes, absolutely, the book is incredible. I liked it better than the movie, frankly, even though it was more graphic and difficult at times-I had to put it down, literally, a few times. The style is unique as far as literary technique-as Precious begins to learn to read and write, the author also writes in a more and more literate way-seriously, pick it up and you will see what I mean.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1112031023490631/k2311a0312/3.12.10