Pickwick Papers by Charles Dickens  » Books  »
  • It’s a thick book, but I’d recommend it to everyone who loves long, slightly confusing but comical tales with a lot of characters

• by Fotorunn

The Posthomus Papers of the Pickwick Club is Dickens first novel, and is more commonly known as The Pickwick Papers. It tells of the adventures of four members of the Pickwick club as they explore the remote areas of England. As the gentlemen haven’t traveled a lot, this means all areas outside London.

In a way the book is

a collection of short stories about the same people, as there’s a lot of things happening that don’t really make a connected story. As with many of Dickens later books, there’s lot of comedy in The Pickwick Papers.

I love just the sound of their names, Mr. Pickwick, Mr.

Winkle, Mr. Snodgrass and Mr.

Tracy Tupman. I also like ...

• the relationship between the quite naïve Mr.

Pickwick and his servant, the cockney Sam Weller, who is a very down-to-earth fellow. There is a lot of characters in this book, nearly a bit too many for my taste.

Most of them are well written, but it gets difficult to keep track of the different ones. First time I read

the book I stopped for some weeks, and then I had to start all over again as I had forgotten too many names.

I really like the descriptions of travelling, of the horses, the carriages and the inns. It’s a thick book, but I’d recommend it to everyone who loves long, slightly confusing but comical tales with a lot of characters.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1711031023001131/k2311a0311/3.11.10