Praat software  » Software  »
  • The most interesting thing is that each time Your voice becomes different

• by Julietgirl

At the beginning it is essential to explain what exactly “Praat” is since not all of us may know that. So, I will try to explain properly. It is the program for phonetic speech analysis and synthesis of sound. “Praat” program performs various functions: speech analysis, speech synthesis, learning algorithms, language manipulation, etc. In general, “Praat” is the program of phonetic analysis and sound manipulation.

It is available in many different platforms (Windows, Macintosh, Unix, Linux) and can be downloaded (free) from http://www. praat. org/ . Source code is also available.

The site has a

link to “Praat” users group. It is a program created by Paul Boersma and David Weenink. This invention is very useful, however it is important to mention that only mono signals can be researched . Stereo signals may be just opened, previewed and saved.

I have personally tried “Praat”. At first, I was shocked because it was so exciting to modify Your own voice or even your friends’ voices. Actually I use this program at the university. We worked with it in the previous semester during phonetics lectures.

Now we are working with it during ...

• the lectures of Computational Linguistics. You probably cannot imagine the feeling that “Praat” brings. For this reason, I have downloaded this program to my computer- it is fast and easy. You can try by Your own! I hope You will not regret.

Of course there are some things that You must have if You want to use this program. Firstly, You have to have microphone. Secondly, the headphones would be an advantage. Thirdly, You must have a critical view of Yourself.

Now You know the criteria! That means that You can download “Praat” at this

moment!

When I have tried this invention for the first time, I absolutely fell in love with it. Firstly, I recorded my voice, saved it and after that I have modified it as much as I wanted. The most interesting thing is that each time Your voice becomes different. Certainly, it made me laugh.

You can choose, as for instance, frequency or timbre of the voice. In short, it is this program which is worth Your attention. If You are interested, You can download and install it. However, if you are not, then I must finish my speech.

See You!

Sorry, there are no related reviews at moment
    The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 3010031021310331/k2311a0310/3.10.10