Frigidaire Crown Series Front-Loading Dryer - FDGB23RGS1  » Housewares  »
2.0
  • So I appreciate the savings on my electric bill, however, I know that this dryer is far from as efficient as it could or should be
  • I think the drum came off the rollers, or something
  • I wouldn't recommend this dryer unless you stumble across one at a garage sale for $50 or something and you really need one
  • I would be surprised if this machine cost more than $400 brand new, and it has definitely performed well for that price

• by Jenn

I’ve been using this Frigidaire Crown Series clothes dryer for almost four years now. The dryer, along with most major appliances in my house, belonged to the previous homeowners, and they included these items in our home purchase. It made life so much easier to know we’d be able to do laundry and put groceries in the fridge as soon as we moved in, without worrying about shopping for new, expensive appliances.

The Frigidaire dryer - FDGB23RGS1 - goes with our Frigidaire washer, which I also recently reviewed. As with the washer, the dryer is almost ten years old, and we use it on a very regular basis as we have a very active household. Though the dryer is a very bottom-of-the-line, basic model, and is older than my son, it has held up rather well under such heavy use.

The

dryer operates on gas hook-ups, and seems to be pretty efficient in comparison with using an electric dryer. So I appreciate the savings on my electric bill, however, I know that this dryer is far from as efficient as it could or should be. It seems to be taking longer and longer for clothes to actually become dry, and this has gotten progressively worse as the years go by.

The lint trap, and the fixed portion of the lint trap track, broke over a year ago. The plastic just snapped. I have managed to keep using it by means of the cracks fitting nicely together when you slide them in just right, and finally, superglue! Good old superglue.

The dryer actually gave out a few months ago, and luckily my husband was able to fix it to the point where we ...

• can still use it. (Funny enough, he used superglue in his repair, as well!) However, it hasn’t been the same. The night the Frigidaire dryer broke, it made a horrific noise when I turned it on with a wet load. I could tell that heat was being generated, because when I opened the dryer it felt warm and humid, but the noise was so bad I had to leave it off. I took to using a clothesline for a few weeks until my husband finally looked at it, and put it back together. I think the drum came off the rollers, or something.

It still squeaks a bit now and then, and there is a gap where clothing gets stuck sometimes, and a portion of the clothing is then torn, dirtied with grease and basically destroyed, so that stinks. However,

the dryer works. It still dries clothes, I just don’t dry delicates in there. I also only use the whites/delicate/knits setting for all laundry, as I think its safest with a dryer this old. The clothes still get dry, it just takes a while. Besides, it takes even longer on the regular/colors setting!

I wouldn’t recommend this dryer unless you stumble across one at a garage sale for $50 or something and you really need one. Then, its perfect. Otherwise, budget better and buy a nice, new dryer that is from this decade! I would be surprised if this machine cost more than $400 brand new, and it has definitely performed well for that price. In that respect, and in terms of longevity, this Frigidaire dryer is a good value. But as far as convenience and actual usage, I cannot recommend it.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 5310031020870231/k2311a0310/3.10.10