Bayani Fernando, candidate Vice-President, 2010 Philippine National Election  » Local news  »
  • Well, I could not blame those city mayors because they wanted to get the more votes even if the voters are not longer following the right and the legal, I believe they would still protect and sympathize with them if only to be assured of their precious votes

• by ladyli

Bayani Fernando is my Vice-President for this 2010 Philippine National Election. Actually I was also rooting for his presidential bid until he lost the opportunity to become Administration Standard Bearer to Gilbert Teodoro.

Now what made me choose this man to be my Vice-President? Well this man is a transformer. I’ve seen Marikina City and I was amazed with the transformation. It is so clean, so orderly, and so peaceful. The Marikina which was once known only for durable shoes and hence the title “Shoe Capital of the Philippines” is awarded to this place is now among the cleanest, most orderly, disciplined and progressive cities in the Philippines. All this happened through the outstanding leadership of Bayani Fernando.

When Bayani Fernando later became the Chairman of Metro Manila Development Authority his achievement became even more

remarkable to me. Unlike with the wonderful transformation of Marikina City which does not in anyway directly benefiting me, the transformation of Metro Manila under Bayani’s leadership benefited me a lot. Yes, indeed he could be the most misunderstood leader in Gloria Arroyo’s government because there are people who do not like changes and could not understand what discipline is all about if it would affect their means of livelihood, but to me he is the man this country needs. This is not because I am not a sidewalk vendor who was one among those demolished and was deprived of the opportunity to earn my day to day living at the road. No, because if I were a vendor, I would not do my business on the sidewalk. I would rather find a decent place where I could ...

• not be a menace and distraction to the pedestrians. Well Bayani Fernando was trying to teach discipline but people hated him for that. But I could not help but appreciate him more whenever I walk along clean and orderly sidewalks. I could not help but thank him for the footbridges that made street crossings much safer. Yes, their pink color does not delight me really because I would prefer them in green but what matters most is my safety here. Also, I could not help but appreciate Bayani Fernando’s effort when I saw my own town free of squatters who have for long time congested and the railway areas where pickpockets would run after they’ve victimized people along the road.

I could not help but ask why many people could not understand Bayani Fernando’s desire to make

this country like the well-disciplined and very progressive Singapore. Remember Bayani Fernando’s dispute with some city mayors because of his disciplinary moves. Well, I could not blame those city mayors because they wanted to get the more votes even if the voters are not longer following the right and the legal, I believe they would still protect and sympathize with them if only to be assured of their precious votes.

How I wish Bayani Fernando would win in his vice presidential bid so that he could continue the good transformation he started. How I wish he could continue his beautification projects and that he could keep out those sidewalk vendors and squatters from the places where they become sore and distraction to other people’s convenience and security and so that they also would know how to live life decently.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 368031019400531/k2311a038/3.8.10