A Man Called Hawk: The Master’s Mirror  » TV  »
1.5
  • I want conversation I can understand, words that don't make me think I'm reading a bad comic book, and that's what I feel like when I'm watching this pilot episode

• by Orrymain

From 1989, A Man Called Hawk starring Avery Brooks debuted on ABC. Brooks was recreating his colorful character of Hawk from the hit series, Spenser for Hire. For some reason, Hawk has returned to his Washington D.C. and that’s where the action takes place.

To be up front, I didn’t Hawk

was so hot on Spenser for Hire, so I don’t have a lot of high expectations for this series, either. Brooks is a good actor, but this character is just too rough on the edges, too Shaft-like for my tastes.

In this first episode, Hawk reconnects with Bailey Webster (Angela Bassett) while ...

• trying to track down an old partner who isn’t on the up and up.

Moses Gunn co-stars as Old Man, who offers up advise to Hawk. Normally, Gunn provides some jazz to a show. I haven’t seen that yet.

I really hate the street talk that highlights Hawk’s character and the era

of this TV series. “Let me rock it for you one last time…” and that’s a threat. It makes me groan. I want conversation I can understand, words that don’t make me think I’m reading a bad comic book, and that’s what I feel like when I’m watching this pilot episode.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 108031019080431/k2311a038/3.8.10