Gladiator movie
  • What I don't like is the violence, blood, and grit of the movie, which I knew would be there and is why I never saw this in the theater
  • His part was necessarily brief, but he definitely made an impression while on screen

• by Orrymain

I wasn’t expecting to enjoy Gladiator at all, but the intensity of the drama can’t be ignored. In short, this is a movie about a much respected general to Marcus Aurelius, the emperor of Rome, who is then condemned to execution by the emperor’s son, Commodus. The handsome but probably insane Commodus has murdered his father, all while Marcus was trying to comfort him.

Amazining, the general, named Maximus, survives the execution attempt and tries to reach his family, which has also

been condemned. Sadly, he doesn’t make it. He ends up in the care of gladiators and eventually returns to Rome, where he surprises and faces off against Commodus.

There are a couple of lines I’ll remember from this film — “Strength and honor” and “What we do in live echoes in eternity.” I love them both and what they say.

Though parts of this movie are too slow for my taste, the scenes that pull me in are haunting in ways and ...

• don’t allow me to look away. I’m lulled into the conflict and heart of the story. What I don’t like is the violence, blood, and grit of the movie, which I knew would be there and is why I never saw this in the theater.

Russell Crowe was a perfect choice for Maximus, his quiet strength giving him power. He shows remarkable restraint in the character, especially when he comes up against Commodus, who taunts him about how his wife was

raped and killed.

Joaquin Phoenix was very good as Commodus. He has that handsome but baby-ish look of a spoiled child who claims life isn’t fair while committing all kinds of atrocities himself. How fair is that?

Richard Harris gave a fine performance as Marcus Aurelius as well. His part was necessarily brief, but he definitely made an impression while on screen.

Gladiator is a powerful film. I just can’t watch this much violence, especially with how the animals are affected as well.

Gladiator movie

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 118031019060431/k2311a038/3.8.10