Philosophy Purity Made Simple Cleanser
  • My skin is combination-oily which is one of the worst types of skin to have in my opinion
  • I don't really have the time to fix my makeup too often and blot the oil with a oil absorbing sheets or a powder unfortunately
  • I thought that was probably because I had been using it for so long that my skin started to get used to it, so I thought it was time to find another cleanser
  • However, there were enough reviews where people absolutely raved about this product, so in the end, I decided to buy it
  • Luckily it is not too bad that I'm afraid to show my face in public, but it's definitely not something I enjoy

• by kelairyy

My skin is combination-oily which is one of the worst types of skin to have in my opinion! I usually wake up in the morning at 5:45-6:00 am and wash my face, and by 9-10 am, my t-zone area (forehead, nose, and sometimes a little around my cheeks) will already be oily. I don’t really have the time to fix my makeup too often and blot the oil with a oil absorbing sheets or a powder unfortunately. And if that’s not bad enough, my eyes area, especially in the winter, is always extremely dry! Even when I use a moisturizing eye cream, sometimes there are still those disgusting-looking dry patches around my eyes that I can’t get rid of. Those dry areas are made worse when I have an allergic reaction to concealer (which has actually just recently happened), eyeshadow, eyeliner, etc.

I had been using the AcneFree skin care for probably more than half a year now, and while it did work nicely for me, it didn’t work as much as I wanted it to. I thought that was probably because I had been using it for so long that my skin started to get used to it, so I thought it was time to find another cleanser. In the past, I had been too cheap to buy a high-end cleanser, so I’ve tried multiple drugstore ones like Nuetrogena, Mary Kay, Clean and Clear, and then AcneFree. None of them really worked as well as I wanted to get rid of my acne; I wouldn’t say I have a lot, but I do have more than I want. Usually I only get them on my forehead, but I do get more than one

or two at a time unlike some of the lucky people out there who think their skin is awful when they have exactly one pimple on their face. Anyway, I had been reading some reviews about different high-end cleansers, because I thought they might work better than the drugstore ones I’d used. I finally decided on Philosophy’s Purity Made Simple Cleanser which had gotten a lot of mixed reviews. A lot of people said it didn’t really do much for them, so it wasn’t worth the price. Some even said it made their face break out or get rashes from irritation. However, there were enough reviews where people absolutely raved about this product, so in the end, I decided to buy it.

I bought the 8 fl oz bottle for $20 at Sephora. It’s definitely a lot more expensive that the cleansers I’m used to, probably $10-$15 more. But for a high end brand, I think that’s a pretty reasonable price because you’re getting a decent amount of product that would last a couple of months at least. The cleanser is in a simple looking bottle that resembles maybe a lotion tube or something with a cap that many shampoo bottles have (I don’t really know how to explain it, so just look at a shampoo or conditioner cap/lid). The cleanser is a milky cream color. I’m not a big fan of the smell; I think it smells kind of like dish soap and lemons mixed together to get kind of a unpleasant medicine/soap smell, but I can’t speak for everyone. I prefer cleansers that don’t really have a scent, and as far as I can remember, I think this is the first cleanser I’ve ...

• tried with a noticable scent.

I don’t think this takes off my makeup; I have to use a makeup remover to get my eyeliner and waterproof mascara off before I wash my face. I usually don’t expect cleansers to do this, but for the price I paid, I’m kind of disappointed.

I do like the fact that this doesn’t really lather that well. I don’t like it when there are tons of bubbles all over the place that get into my hair when I wash my face. This is really nice, and you only need a little bit. I used this for a few days, and I actually think my acne got smaller and less noticeable. It didn’t remove it completely, probably because of the short amount of time, but I did notice a difference. Unfortunately I didn’t get to try this out longer, because after a couple of days, my skin started to get really itchy and red. Turns out, I’m allergic to this cleanser! Either that or this is too strong for my skin, but it didn’t seem too strong of a cleanser when I used it. My whole face got really itchy, especially my undereye area, on my jaw bone area, and under my ears for some reason… What stinks is that I have no self control, so I was scratching my skin and everything. My skin got more red and irritated, and little bumps have started to appear on my skin. I wouldn’t call it acne because the bumps itself are not red at all, and they are super small. It kind of reminds me of when I was in 6th grade when I first started to get acne; my

forehead was covered with tiny, tiny pimples that just looked like a hot mess (luckily, now my skin is a lot better than that time period). I don’t think the little bumps are acne, just a response to the irritation my skin got, but it makes my skin look really rough and bumpy. Absolutely horrible! And like I said earlier, my eye area is already extremely dry and allergic reactions or irritation makes it even worse.

I really wanted to like this cleanser, and I think if my skin wasn’t irritated/allergic to this, I would probably even like it. It felt really nice when I was washing my face. I don’t know if it would necessarily be worth the $20, but it isn’t super expensive compared to other high-end skin care products. However, this is definitely going back to Sephora, because it is just absolutely horrible on my skin. My skin has never felt this bad, nor has it ever responded so badly with any product. If you have sensitive skin, I would be very wary about this product, because I have read reviews about this being irritating as well as experienced it myself (and I would not even consider my skin to be sensitive). My skin did not break out from this which is surprising, because usually when I try a new cleanser, the disgusting impurities come to the top of my skin as pimples to “purge” the bad stuff. However, my skin did get pretty irritated and it caused a lot of bumps on my skin and dry patches around my eyes. Luckily it is not too bad that I’m afraid to show my face in public, but it’s definitely not something I enjoy.

Philosophy Purity Made Simple Cleanser

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 315031016560431/k2311a035/3.5.10