HP Pavilion DV9000 notebook  » Laptops  »
2.5
  • At first, I thought the automatic shutdown was caused by the photoshopped images I saved, which may have been using up too much memory
  • So I called our local HP service center to inquire about warranty and how much it would cost to replace the mother board
  • We were fortunate enough to find a technician to fix our notebook's problem

• by erato

My husband and I purchased our HP Pavilion dv9000 notebook exactly one year and six months ago. It was a highly covetable find back then since we discovered it at a reputable online store, on sale. Had it shipped to my aunt’s place in the US and she brought it back with her to Manila for us. It even came with a free laser printer.

We were excited to test drive the laptop and found it very user friendly from the onset. I loved the unique features highlighted by our new toy

such as the lightscribe direct disc labeling and the 1071 MB shared video memory that would assist me in delivering sharp images for photo editing and more. So edit photos, I did.

I was pretty successful in studying photoshop online and our new toy was instrumental in helping me come up with excellent graphics for my images. Problems arose, however, a good one year and five months into using the notebook. It started turning off by itself and stopped operating altogether when switched on. All I would get was a black screen. At first, I thought the automatic shutdown was caused by the photoshopped images I saved, which may have been using up too much memory.

A tech savvy friend thought the battery may have been the root of our problems. But that wasn’t the case. It was the mother board that was acting up. So I called our local HP service center to inquire about warranty and how much it would cost to replace the mother board. The lady on the other end said our warranty had expired 5 months ...

• HP Pavilion DV9000 notebook
      ago and it would cost us P30K to replace the mother board. P30K! That’s almost the price of my 17″ former best friend! So much for considering HP as one of the more note worthy names in computers.

We were fortunate enough to find a technician to fix our notebook’s problem. He said we could opt to just have him replace the video board so we wouldn’t need to have the entire mother board changed. That move cost us just a fraction of the price of what the HP service center

would’ve gladly charged us. We were also told that this was a common problem among HP laptops. The video boards get burned when used for long periods and in areas with no appropriate cool temperature. And for some reason, they burn out right after the one year warranty period.

I’m back to using my HP Pavilion now. Thanks to the technician who fixed it for us at a mere P1,500 (pesos) and no thanks to the actual service center that should’ve reconsidered giving us a more significant discount so I wouldn’t be ranting as much.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 635031016311031/k2311a035/3.5.10