Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Protein Powder
  • I have tried many other protein powders but in my opinion this is the most easiest to mix as it mixes with only about 10 seconds of moderate shaking in a shaker cup
  • The Cookies and Cream is the best flavor that i've tried, i'll give it a 7/10, although this is a little bit biased because I like cookies and cream flavour of almost everything

• by Andrew

I have been using the Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey protein powder as my primary protein powder since I started lifting weights in the gym 2 years ago. I’ll review the mixability, taste, profile and consistancy.

Mixability: 10

As I said, I have used this product for 2 years, I have never had a problem mixing the powder in either water or milk. I mix it in around 1 metric cup of milk or water when I take it. I have tried many other protein powders but in my opinion this is the most easiest to mix as it mixes with only about 10 seconds of moderate shaking in a shaker cup. I have never had any clumpiness issues no matter what flavor I have. Easy mixing means that my body has had to do less work to break down the protein and

absorb it, and this is the main reason why I have been using this protein for so long.

Consistency: 7

Consistancy is adequate. It is very low in fat and carbohydrates and because of this, the protein shake will be have a very thin consistancy, actually i’d say it flows just like water. I find more thicker shakes more satisfying but it’s not such a big deal for me. I find the same thing in milk, adding the protein to milk doesn’t change the consistancy of the milk.

Taste: 6

I have tried the Chocolate, Strawberry, Vanilla and Cookies n Cream flavours. The Chocolate i’d rate a 4/10. The chocolate taste isn’t very strong even in milk, and it barely changes the taste of the water, the chocolate makes the water taste weird rather than chocolate itself. The strawberry is honestly terrible in my ...

• opinion, i’ve tried alot of other brands strawberry and the Optimum Nutrition strawberry doesn’t taste good at all, it just tastes like weird chemicals and smells like it as well. Vanilla i’d give a 6/10, it tastes stronger than chocolate in my opinion and if you were blindfolded and tasted it in water, you would probably guess correctly that it was the vanilla flavor. The Cookies and Cream is the best flavor that i’ve tried, i’ll give it a 7/10, although this is a little bit biased because I like cookies and cream flavour of almost everything. It tastes a little more like cream than cookies, but its still nice.

Profile: 8

This product is very low in fat and carbohydrates. In fact theres less than a gram of fat and carb per serve, so it will easily digestible if you mix

it in water. The carbs in the powder isn’t sugar, but is complex carbs. Like all protein powders, one of the most important things is protein per serve and this product has 24g per serve, which is pretty much industry standard. I’ve never had any digestion problems or gassiness or anything like that.

Overall Satisfaction: 7/10 With this protein, you definately take the bad with the good. The good is the profile and mixability, those counting calories will appreciate the minimal amount of carbs and fat and those who hate to have to use a blender will appreciate how easily and quickly the powder will mix in water/milk. On the down side is the taste, obviously taste is a subjective thing but in my opinion their flavors are not strong enough and are very dull, which is not satisfying if you really care about flavoring.

Robert Black says :

Hi there, I am trying to build up alot more muscle but can not decide between Maximuscle cyclone or Optimum 100 whey, Can you help?

Galega says :

This question must be settled by a professional. See, whey protein can lead to lots of serious side effects if not taken under medical supervision. Lots of people have suffered.

I would suggest you to consult a doctor, or a physical trainer and ask for suggestions. The dose will be decided by the amount of time you are giving daily on workouts, the content of your daily diets, your age and weight. Your medical history needs to be taken care of before deciding the perfect dose.

The similar is the case of brand you may need.

d2t replies :

I can`t comment on the Maximuscle cyclone because I have never heard of it before. But what I can say is the Optimum Nutrition 100 whey is the world`s best selling protein powder. It has a good profile if you manage the taste it doesn`t taste bad its just a bit dull in water . No protein will make you huge in a short amount of time though.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 343031014200631/k2311a033/3.3.10