Stargate Atlantis: Brain Storm  » TV  »
  • I'm very surprised that I enjoyed it as much as I did
  • What's even more amazing is that one of the two regulars that was focused on was David Hewlett's Dr. Rodney McKay, a character I can't stand

• by Orrymain

Stargate Atlantis: Brain Storm is a last season entry of this science fiction series, and it’s surprisingly intriguing. I’m very surprised that I enjoyed it as much as I did. As a rule, I don’t like this show. Through this episode, there have only been about four or five other shows that I’ve really liked through its history. What’s even more amazing is that one of the two

regulars that was focused on was David Hewlett’s Dr. Rodney McKay, a character I can’t stand. He whines, screeches, and just annoys me about ninety percent of the time. Apparently, this is part of that rare ten percent when he’s tolerable.

The one who really makes this episode work, though, is Jewel Staite as Dr. Jennifer Keller. She has a wonderful strength that is quiet yet assertive. She manages ...

• to be personable and vulnerable, while also being aggressive and driven. It’s the mixture of these qualities that shines through here.

In essence, Rodney takes Jennifer to a science exhibition on Earth run by an old adversary. Disaster looms when this man, played by Dave Foley, gets in way over his head with a device to help alleviate global warming. Things don’t go as planned and soon a man is

dead and everyone else is in jeopardy.

There’s lots of drama, some neat scientific guest stars such as Bill Nye and Neil deGrasse Tyson, and some emotional angst when Jennifer almost dies. Suffice it to say, love is in the air, at last.

I was quite surprised as I said, but this was a good episode. Apparently, it was also Martin Gero’s Stargate Atlantis swan song. He did a pretty good job.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 102031013540231/k2311a032/3.2.10