Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
Magic Kingdom at Walt Dinsey World in Orlando Florida
  • I immediately knew I wanted to go on the ride and made my parents take me

• by Josh Auman

Big Thunder Mountain Railroad located in the Frontierland portion of the Magic Kingdom was the first roller coaster I ever went on as a child. The theme of the ride is that you trapped on a runaway mine car. While most roller coaster aficionados will think of this coaster as no more then a kiddy ride, most will get pure enjoyment out of this ride.

When I made my first trip to Disney World, I was only into meeting all the characters, until I saw Splash Mountain. I immediately

knew I wanted to go on the ride and made my parents take me. Fortunately for me, back in the day the rides were not marked as well as they are today and I ended up in line for Big Thunder Mountain Railroad. When first boarding the ride I was quite scared, but that soon turned into pure enjoyment. While Big Thunder Mountain has no big drops or loops you are consistently making sharp banked turns and being thrown from side to side. Also, the ride is ...

• themed quite well as you go though a flooded bat cave, a hot spring, and a mine shaft.

Big Thunder Mountain Railroad makes up for what it lacks in intensity with fun. The ride never has a dull moment as it continues to weave and turn all ride long. The only downside to the Big Thunder Mountain Railroad is that since it is an older coaster it is one of the jerkiest rides at Disney World. I would argue though that in the context of the ride, one should

expect this and look at it as an essential part to the aura of the ride. Big Thunder Mountain is a must ride attraction and should not be scary or too intense for anyone that can make the height requirement. I would also advise if possible to get a fast pass for the ride as it could cut down on your wait time by a good hour. All in all, even with it being one of Disney Worlds oldest coasters, Big Thunder Mountain Railroad is still one of Disney’s best.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 592031012311231/k2311a032/3.2.10