Ponderosa restaurant  » Restaurants  »
1520 N. Spring St. Beaver Dam, WI 53916
  • My wife and I decided to rectify that this past Friday (when she had off from school) by taking her out to lunch
  • I noticed right away that they had made the line more efficient by removing the silverware section (something that would always hold up the crowd as people tried to decide what they wanted) and realized that likely was a good reason why we didn’t have to stand around waiting even though there were quite a few people there
  • When it came to the buffet, I was very impressed
  • First, I would recommend changing the serving utensils they have at the buffet
  • Overall though, I found I was very happy with Ponderosa

• by Review Vigilante

Because my oldest daughter is in school 5 days a week, we have been spending more time with our youngest daughter than with her. My wife and I decided to rectify that this past Friday (when she had off from school) by taking her out to lunch. I wanted to take her some place a little more grown up than McDonalds. But, at the same time, my daughter can be pretty picky when it comes to food so I had to find a restaurant that offered something in terms of overall selection. We finally decided to take her to Ponderosa.

The reason I chose Ponderosa was the fact they had an all-you-can-eat buffet (which we had coupons for) and I figured there had to be one or two things at that buffet she would eat. Not to mention, we wouldn’t have to wait for our food; something I know she just doesn’t have

the patience for. However, at the same time, it had been a long while since we had been to that particular restaurant and I had to wonder if it was as good as I remembered it being or if it was going to be a place she would end up hating; preventing us from taking her out again. For the most part, I had nothing bad to say.

We got to Ponderosa about 2 p. m. and there was nobody in line. I noticed right away that they had made the line more efficient by removing the silverware section (something that would always hold up the crowd as people tried to decide what they wanted) and realized that likely was a good reason why we didn’t have to stand around waiting even though there were quite a few people there.

Another thing I discovered about Ponderosa is they are now one of a few restaurants in town that has banned smoking. I really appreciated this because none of us smokes and, even though they used to have the smoking section blocked off, you could always smell it in the non-smoking section (they actually used to have it by the exit too; so you had to walk through it on your way out). When it came to the buffet, I was very impressed. Like I mentioned before, my daughter is very picky when it comes to eating.

But, even she was able to find a few things she liked (and even went up for seconds; something that was a bit of a surprise). As for my wife and me, we had a hard time deciding because everything looked good to us; though I honestly did not care for the pork chops they had up there. At $4. 99 per buffet (with the coupon we had), I also could not ...

• Ponderosa restaurant
      argue with the value.

Even the service wasn’t too bad. The servers really don’t have a whole lot to do; unless you order from the menu. But, the one that was working our table still managed to take the time to check up on us, offer us re-fills and even bring a lollipop to our daughter. I normally don’t know whether or not to leave a tip when I eat at a buffet place like that (since I am getting my own food) but I felt obliged to leave a generous tip this time around.

All of this being said, I can’t help but mention at least one thing I would change about the restaurant; well, in this case, a couple things. First, I would recommend changing the serving utensils they have at the buffet. The ones they have now absorb heat and, depending on how they are positioned (usually by a customer),

they can get extremely hot. I nearly burned my fingers trying to get some chicken wings (which I would recommend, by the way) because the serving thongs were extremely hot and I wasn’t expecting that (I ended up swiping a pair from the potato wedges just so I could handle them).

Also, I can understand why a business would want a grab machine (they are a great way to make extra money). But, I don’t think next to the exit is the smartest place to put it. You only have the one door and, if there are people standing around the machine (as there was when we were eating there), it is a bit of a tight squeeze getting out. I would recommend moving it to the lobby area or the back of the restaurant instead.

Overall though, I found I was very happy with Ponderosa. In fact, I’m thinking of leaving the kids with my folks this upcoming weekend and checking out their fish fry with my wife.

Ponderosa restaurant

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 71031011191031/k2311a031/3.1.10