Freestyle Freedom Blood Glucose Monitoring System  » Health  »
  • Once I see the blood drop and test strip symbol, I know I can start to get my blood sample ready

• by Jude244

I recently received a new Freestyle Freedom Blood Glucose Monitoring System from my Father. As it promised virtually pain-free testing, and several features not found on my previous glucose meter, I was pretty curious to see how it stacked up against the One Touch Ultra we had been using.

When you receive a Freestyle Freedom Blood Glucose Monitoring System starter kit, you receive the freestyle freedom meter, the lancing device, freestyle test strips, freestyle control solution, a package of Abbott Lancets, monitoring system carrying case, #2032 battery, and “read me first” info pamphlets and user booklets.

The first thing you notice about the Freestyle Freedom meter is that it is easy to hold and quite compact. It has a very large display screen,

easy to read digits, and only a mode button and a configure button to operate.

The test strip port is located at the bottom of the device and automatically turns the unit on when a strip is inserted. The freestyle strips have easy to spot dark colored half-circles on the test strip edge for ease in locating the test sample area. The freestyle freedom meter also comes equipped with a data port for transferring test results to a diabetes data management center.

Before obtaining your blood sample you must set up your test lancing device and prepare your freestyle meter for use. Preparing the lancing device is easy enough. I simply had to remove the cap on the lancing device, insert the freestyle lancet into the lancet-holder cup, and then twist off the protective topper from the needle.

Once the needle is exposed, I simply replace the clear cap on the device until it locks into place, set the depth setting by turning the dial to my preference, and then cock the handle until it clicks. So far so good, it is very similar to other lancing devices.

Next, I prepare the meter by obtaining the code on the side of the test strips container, and then coding the meter. First, I insert a new test strip into the port located on the bottom of the meter, and then when the meter automatically turns on I look for the word code on the display screen.

...

• Freestyle Freedom Blood Glucose Monitoring System
      To set the code, I can use my c button to increase the display number and the m button to decrease the number until it matches the code found on the test strips. Once I see the blood drop and test strip symbol, I know I can start to get my blood sample ready.

I can obtain blood from my forearm, upper arm, hand, thigh, calf, or over used little fingers. To get the blood sample needed to test, I simply rub the surface of the area I want to test, hold the clear cap down against the area and depress its release button. Now, while holding the lancing device against my skin I peer in to the clear cap and see if I

have a pin drop sized blood droplet.

Finally, I bring the test strip to the blood sample at an angle to fill the strip edge. Uh-oh here’s where this testing meter differs from the one touch ultra meter previously used. You must test the strip at an angle, which is a little tricky at first. Also a bit annoying, you must only fill one test strip edge and you can’t press or scrape the blood against the strip. I already see that I miss the old meter. This isn’t a bad meter but the test strips are awful and the whole testing at an angle thing is just off. If given a choice I would go back to the One Touch Ultra Monitoring system.

andrea says :

a error 4 is displaying on my glucose monitor what is wrong with it?

Galega says :

An Error 4 has two possible causes. Either there is a problem with the test strips, or a problem with the meter. I know that seems a little obvious, but it actually uses those very words. What you can do is check the meter by using the control solution. First test to see if the meter registers the range printed on the side of the test strips unique code number. If it the test solution is indeed within range, try retesting using a new strip and blood droplet.

Jude244 replies :

Hi Andrea. According to the manual I used to code my meter and learn its specific procedures, an Error 4 has two possible causes. Either there is a problem with the test strips, or a problem with the meter. I know that seems a little obvious, but it actually uses those very words. What you can do is check the meter by using the control solution. First test to see if the meter registers the range printed on the side of the test strips unique code number. If it the test solution is indeed within range, try retesting using a new strip and blood droplet. If the test with the control solution does not fall within the coded range, you may have to call the customer care toll free number at 1-888-522-5226. The first thing I would do is check the code saved in the meter. Hopefully, it may just be a simple matter of re-codeing your meter to match your test strips. Good Luck, Jude

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 341031011081031/k2311a031/3.1.10