Shop Rite Kitty Litter  » Pets  »
0.5
  • The first things I noticed when I poured in the new kitty litter was that it was extremely powdery
  • This became a problem – every time I would clean the litter box I would be forced to inhale kitty litter
  • So despite having to deal with clouds of litter, I thought it would be ok

• by Opalina143

Like many people, I have a cat. Also like many people, I sometimes have trouble making ends meet. One month I was particularly short on cash, so I looked for kitty litter that was a little cheaper than the kind I usually buy.

I was browsing in Shop Rite and ran across Shop Rite brand kitty litter. I was surprised to see it because I had had no idea that Shop Rite, of all stores, put out its own brand of kitty litter. However, the price couldn’t be beaten. A while back a friend had warned me about cheap kitty litter. He said that much of it is ‘nonclumping’ i.e, it does not form together into clumps when it gets wet. As any cat owner knows, kitty litter is

supposed to soak up the cat urine and collect it in clumps, which the owner then scoops out and throws away. This keeps the litter box clean and makes it easy to keep clean. He warned me that many of the cheaper litters didn’t clump and advised me to make sure the box read “clumping.” Well, the Shop Rite brand clearly said “Super Clumping” on the label, so I thought I’d be alright.

The first things I noticed when I poured in the new kitty litter was that it was extremely powdery. When I poured it in, a cloud of fine particles blew up in my face. This became a problem – every time I would clean the litter box I would be forced to inhale kitty litter.

• I don’t want to inhale cat urine and feces, its disgusting and a good way to get worms.

My cat seemed to have no problem with it. She continued to use the litter box every day like she always did, and did not seem to notice any difference. So despite having to deal with clouds of litter, I thought it would be ok.

Then when I started cleaning, I noticed there were not many clumps. Because the kitty litter clearly said “clumping” I thought there might be something wrong with my cat. I thought she might not be going to the bathroom. I even thought about taking her to the vet. However, as time went on, I noticed a bad smell. The kitty litter box really stunk. Much more

so than usual. I had to deal with a terrible odor. The litter had no scent or odor killing chemicals, but more than that, I came to realize that despite what the packaging said, Shop Rite kitty litter does not clump.

This meant that I had to empty out the entire litter box. It’s a large litter box, and emptying it out was very hard, it required two people, and a huge amount of kitty litter was kicked up and breathed in by me and the person helping me.

I actually threw the rest of the Shop Rite kitty litter away. Really, it was worse than nothing. I cannot recommend this product at all. Do not buy it. It is better to spend a little more on litter and get better quality.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 291031010751031/k2311a031/3.1.10