Lean Cuisine Butternut Squash Ravioli Meal
  • For one thing, I know that diet food often is not that good, and for another, I do not really like squash
  • But I am trying to lose weight and I did not feel like cooking, so when I found the carton of squash ravioli in the back of my freezer, I decided to give it a try

• by Opalina143

Lean Cuisine is a line of frozen entrees known for their low calorie count. Knowing this, I did not expect too much from my meal of Butternut Squash Ravioli. For one thing, I know that diet food often is not that good, and for another, I do not really like squash. But I am trying to lose weight and I did not feel like cooking, so when I found the carton of squash ravioli in the back of my freezer, I decided to give it a try.

I’m really glad I did. The meal consists of raviolis along with cut carrots, peppers and pea pods

in a white cream sauce. Usually you associate white creamy sauce with high calorie counts, but this meal has only 350 calories and 9 grams of fat. Not a tiny amount, but not bad for dinner. Usually a person eats well over that amount for dinner, and if you eat 1,500 calories a day, a good number for a person watching their weight (after all, you do not want to lose weight too quickly as that can be unhealthy as well as hard to maintain once you take it off.) With this 1,500 calorie goal in mind, 500 calories a meal is reasonable, so ...

• with only 360 calories this frozen dinner is well within the bounds of a good diet.

I did notice that there were peas on the cover of the box, but there were no peas to be found in the meal itself. This may have been an oversight or false advertising. Since I do not like peas that much to begin with , I did not mind so much- still, it usually isn’t that good for a food to advertise something it does not deliver, so I have to note that in my review.

The meal was very tasty. The sauce tasted really nice, though I am

not sure of the ingredients. I had been a little unsure about squash in raviolis, but they were really good. The squash had a mild flavor that really went well with the sauce. The vegetables did not have that much taste in and of themselves, but tasted good when soaked in the sauce. The portion was sufficient, though a little on the small side (what can you expect from diet food, and from frozen tv dinners in general- they always tend to be a little small) still it was pretty filling for all that.

I really liked this meal and would get it again.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 271031010721031/k2311a031/3.1.10