Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics - Closing Ceremonies  » TV  »
  • One of the interesting portions of closing ceremonies is the hand off to the next hosting country
  • It's a powerful piece, and I think their choir sang the entire thing (lots of verses)
  • I wasn't that impressed because so much of it was done like a movie on a screen
  • He received a rousing welcome with many Olympians standing, which I thought was wonderful
  • I don't think they really had a strong middle, though

• by Orrymain

The closing ceremonies for the Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics were a mixed bag of hits and misses.

First of all, I just loved the spoof the Canadians did about the cauldron faux pas from the opening ceremonies. Bringing back the athlete who didn’t get to light the torch was so wonderful. I didn’t get her name, except for Katrina, and she’s a gold medal speed skater who ended up just standing there when things went wrong two weeks ago. Tonight, she re-lit the torch for the end of it all. It was terrific. Bravo, Canada!

On the other hand, what was with the kids up on the podium treating the Canadian national

anthem as if it were a rock song? That really stood out to me as a negative. They were bobbing around there quite a bit. I’m all for being happy and proud, but a national anthem isn’t a rock song.

One of the interesting portions of closing ceremonies is the hand off to the next hosting country. In this case, 2014 events will be in Sochi, Russia. We were treated to a rousing rendition of their restored anthem. It’s a powerful piece, and I think their choir sang the entire thing (lots of verses). The rest of it was okay. I wasn’t that impressed because so much of it ...

• was done like a movie on a screen. I did get a kick out of a couple of the Russians that were placed on stage just to wave, including the hockey coach who was pulled after the first half of the Miracle on Ice hockey game back in 1980. I guess he managed to reclaim his status, which is a good thing.

William Shatner did a neat little bit about Juan de Fuca and the final frontier. He was followed by Catherine O’Hara, who is funny in her own right. Both were part of a segment on what it means to be Canadian. The best, though, was Michael J. Fox. He

received a rousing welcome with many Olympians standing, which I thought was wonderful.

Definitely on the down side was the performance by Michael Buble. He wasn’t singing live; no way, at least not all of it, and he’s not experienced enough to fake it.

The finale with a variety of gigantic hockey players, beavers, moose, and maple leaves was pretty entertaining. I don’t think they really had a strong middle, though. The beginning was exciting and fun as the new elements were introduced but then it just went on with nothing new and the characters walking all around. The very end was strong.

All in all, it was a nice celebration of the 21st Winter Olympic games.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 101031010691031/k2311a031/3.1.10