Stargate Atlantis: The Shrine  » TV  »
2.5
  • Since I'm sentimental, it moves me, and yet, I feel the manipulation, and that I don't like

• by Orrymain

Stargate Atlantis: The Shrine is another fifth season program from this series’ final season on television. It’s the sixth show and in it, David Hewlett gets to stand out with his acting skills, such as they are, by playing a Rodney McKay who has gone from genius to not genius due potentially to a parasite acquired during a mission. It’s a bit like Alzheimer’s disease.

Here are what works and what

doesn’t for me:

–They give Woolsey a moment of humanity when he recalls his father’s bout with Alzheimer’s. It was good, but it felt too much like something forced, like it’s supposed to help us like him better. I equate this to his remark in an earlier episode about his Yorkie dog. Since I’m sentimental, it moves me, and yet, I feel the manipulation, and that I don’t like.

–I don’t ...

• really like all the power plays that occur over whether or not Rodney will be taken to this shrine place that might help him for a day. It’s Jennifer the doctor vs the entire team and then it’s Jennifer the doctor vs Jeannie the sister.

–The little banter between Rodney and Sheppard over whether or not to say goodbye at a certain point does work well.

–The pace was too slow for me,

and I tired of the video segments that showed Rodney’s erosion of his mind. I get the purpose, but I wasn’t lured into the story enough to care. I wanted some kind of action; some daylight; something.

–Jennifer the doctor annoys me here, too. She really seems too closed minded for someone living in another galaxy.

Overall, I’m not enthralled and found my mind drifting frequently and eager to see the end credits.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 101031010671031/k2311a031/3.1.10