Highland Soap Company Lemongrass & Ginger Natural Handmade Soap  » Cosmetics  »
  • I picked up this bar of soap from the Spean Bridge shop itself, which is an interesting place to spend a little while browsing
  • I think I have got the best of the deal there, since the lack of any plastic is immensely welcome and really does add another dimension to the soap
  • I do not recommend eating this thing, though
  • Overall, this is a nice bar to use every day, and I will be more than a little disappointed when it has been entirely used up

• by fredhound

The Highland Soap Company is based in the small, though quite busy, village of Spean Bridge, which lies on the A82 main road in the western Highlands of Scotland, not all that far from Fort William. You would never know it to look at the label of their Lemongrass & Ginger Natural Handmade Soap, however, as all you are given there is the postcode (PH34 4EP). Thank goodness for Google Maps, I say!

I picked up this bar of soap from the Spean Bridge shop itself, which is an interesting place to spend a little while browsing. The first thing you notice about the soap is how little packaging it uses. The bar I am reviewing had none at all apart from a cardboard label, but I suspect that if you bought it from anywhere other than the main shop you would have to contend with the usual plastic wrapper, simply for reasons of hygiene and efficient packing. I think I have got the

best of the deal there, since the lack of any plastic is immensely welcome and really does add another dimension to the soap.

The bar’s label is very homespun in appearance, being a rather pleasant light lilac colour with a slightly irritating self-consciously “aren’t we great?” blurb printed on it. This goes on about how the Highlands have “richly romantic and heroic history buried within”, which is doubtless true but which does not really tell me a great deal about why I should be using this particular brand of soap! Luckily the mention of the emphasis being on natural ingredients is considerably more relevant.

As far as those ingredients go, they are listed on a separate (white) sticky label which is simply affixed on to the lilac one. Depending on your point of view, this looks either a little bit slapdash or charmingly handmade - in general I tend more towards the latter, and quite like the non-mass produced look it gives the product. The ingredients ...

• list itself is very comprehensive, and makes sure that you are well aware that, for example, the “Theobroma cacao” is actually unrefined cocoa butter. Several ingredients are listed as being “fairly traded”, but as there is no official stamp of an organisation such as Fairtrade it is rather difficult to know just what the criteria may have been for mentioning this.

This is quite a chunky bar of soap, measuring very roughly 8 cm long, 5 cm wide and 2 cm deep. It is a traditional block shape, with only very slightly rounded corners, and that allied to its hardness means that I find it can be a little bit uncomfortable to use when the block is very new. After a short period of use, of course, the bar becomes more rounded off and the edges become more softened. The colour is something I am not entirely certain about - it is a sort of light brown colour that reminds me to some extent

of a block of fudge. I do not recommend eating this thing, though!

I have been very pleased with this bar’s smell. It lives up to its name and provides a fascinatingly complex and subtle mixture of aromas that I find very pleasant indeed in use. As well as the lemongrass and ginger themselves, there is also a slight hint of citrus, which I would imagine is provided by the citral listed on the label. Of course the underlying “soap smell” is still very much in evidence, but the Highland Soap Company have been clever in preventing it from being overwhelming.

Overall, this is a nice bar to use every day, and I will be more than a little disappointed when it has been entirely used up. Although this soap is a little bit expensive when compared to the more popular mainstream and supermarket brands, I think that the feeling of exclusivity and classiness it provides is enough to gain it a fairly strong recommendation from me.

quick note by anonymous :

Hi Fred,

A kind review of our product. Thank you

We’ve learnt a little since then. We’ve changed the packaging a bit though have been careful to avoid plastic. We hope you like it

Interesting point about the frairtrade - curiously we meet the criteria for Peta, Vegan, Organic, Fairtrade and Soil Association. We have no parabans, SLS or anything undesirable. The reason we are not certified is I’m afraid down to the quite extraordinary charges they insist on so. As a tiny family business we prefer just to rest on the laurels of our superior quality. We hope it says enough.

If you’d like to review us again we would be very grateful,

Yours aye,

The Highland Soap Company

Lisa Ferguson says :

I came across your soap while looking up another soap product. I was wondering if you ship your product to the United States?

Highland Soap says :

Hi Lisa,

We would love to be able to ship to the USA but very sadly we don’t have FDA approval.

I guess you will just have to visit Scotland and visit us while you are here

Yours,

The Highland Soap Company

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 3128021009960928/k2311a0228/2.28.10