8 Gigabyte Ipod Touch 2nd Generation  » Electronics  »
  • After taking a couple of months to try it I think its ready for a review
  • Within a week of receiving the Ipod, I found a way to crash it by removing it without ejecting it from the Ipod software
  • They provide something to do when your waiting in a long line at the bank, or waiting on a friend (Personally I like the game traffic rush, where you attempt to direct traffic across an intersection)
  • However, I am not impressed with the proprietary nature of the device

• by RCarl

I recieved the 8 gigabyte Ipod touch, second generation from my Girlfriend as a Christmas gift a couple of months ago. After taking a couple of months to try it I think its ready for a review.

Within a week of receiving the Ipod, I found a way to crash it by removing it without ejecting it from the Ipod software. My girlfriend thought I was an idiot for not knowing this but I’ve never owned an ipod before so I had no clue.

I really like the Itunes software

that Apple has designed for App management. The ability to use the program to shop for and download Ipod Apps is a great tool. However, I am not fond of how it organizes your music as it seems to make a lot of processes more difficult than it needs to be. For example, designating an audio file as an “audio book” is a about a 10 step process. The user has to access the file properties, designate it as an audiobook, then set the file properties so that it acts like an audiobook. Then repeat for all the chapters in the audiobook.

Formerly I used a Toshiba Gigabeat F40, an older 40 gb MP3 player that I loaded the open source firmware Rockbox on. Personally I preferred the freedom offered by Rockbox compared to the proprietary strictness of the Ipod.

The app functions though are what really set the Ipod Touch apart from my old F40 though. Most of my apps are games. I find the Ipod serves as a very good platform to ...

• 8 Gigabyte Ipod Touch 2nd Generation
      play small games. They provide something to do when your waiting in a long line at the bank, or waiting on a friend (Personally I like the game traffic rush, where you attempt to direct traffic across an intersection). However, reference apps such as The Weather Channel App, NPR News, and Wikipedia are also very useful in getting the daily news.

However, it should be noted that as of right now I have only downloaded free Apps - which there are plenty of - from apple.

As of now,

I have yet to make a purchase from the Itunes Store. I have relied on my old music library without updating it through Apples inflated prices.

Overall, I am very satisfied with my Ipod touch. I like the functionality that the Appstore has added to the MP3 player making it essentially into a PDA. However, I am not impressed with the proprietary nature of the device. I cannot program my own apps nor can I use any program other than Itunes. So the Ipod Touch 8gig gets a 6/10 from me.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1628021009530828/k2311a0228/2.28.10