Seneca Caverns cave tour  » Travel  »
Riverton, WV (county route 33/4)
  • I think I went about 3 times on field trips for school and several more with various family members
  • I always had a lot of fun on these trips, but I recommend if you go that you take a jacket because it's a constant chilly temperature in the cave
  • There is a little snack stand at the end of the walk back from the caverns that sells amazing Moose Tracks ice cream

• by Ash Marie

Seneca Caverns is a great tourist location in West Virginia. The cave is beautiful, streaked with minerals caused by runoff. The guided tour takes about 45 minutes. The cost is as follows: children under 3 tour for free, 4-12 for $8, and 13 and up $13. Discounts are available for groups of 10+, AAA members, and senior citizens.

I can remember going on many of these tours as a child. I think I went about 3 times on field trips for school and several more with various family members. The tour is very beautiful and informative,

especially for young visitors. Some things can be touched, others cannot. I always had a lot of fun on these trips, but I recommend if you go that you take a jacket because it’s a constant chilly temperature in the cave.

There is a little snack stand at the end of the walk back from the caverns that sells amazing Moose Tracks ice cream. It’s a prime selling location. After the cool walk through the caverns and then a typically toasty walk back to the store/parking lot, nothing hits the spot more than an ice ...

• cream.

Speaking of the walk, IT IS LONG! Visitors take a 45 minute walking tour, that’s alright, but then there is also the trek back to the beginning of the cave which, as I mentioned above, takes place outside of the caves and up a woodland trail. Thank goodness the view is great or I think I wouldn’t want to do it.

One of my favorite things, then and now, is the gift shop. Now, don’t get me wrong, all they want is your money, like any other shop, but they do have something that’s fun

for all ages. The store sells bags full of dirt and sand for visitors to take outside and sift through in their man-made sluices. Every bag contains many stones like Fool’s Gold and quartz. This is really fun to do, especially with your children. I honestly did this almost every time I went.

I have always loved doing family trips like these. It’s fun to go somewhere new and exotic. If you’ve never toured a cave, give it a try. The tour is educational and fun and I’m glad the tour is still available after all these years.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 3828021009440828/k2311a0228/2.28.10