Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics - Figure Skating - Ladies’ Free Skate  » Sport  »
  • For me, I've greatly enjoyed seeing these Olympians
  • I felt bad for Asada, who I think feels like an outcast from Japan already
  • For her to be above Flatt is definitely not right

• by Orrymain

Thursday the 25th was the conclusion of the women’s figure skating competition at the Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics. It was an eagerly anticipated free skate event.

Australia’s Cheltzie Lee continued her Olympic dream, skating a nice free skate. You could tell she was tired and some of her jumps were forced, but the important thing is that she did it. She achieved another personal best and deserves to be proud of her first appearance at the Olympic games. For me, I’ve greatly enjoyed seeing these Olympians. They are the ones the Olympics are about, not the professionals taking a time out from their big time lifestyles.

I loved seeing Cheltzie, not to mention Turkey’s Tugba Karademir, the lone figure skater for that country.

That she made it to the games at all is inspirational. It wasn’t as clean of a skate as she would have wanted, but she was there.

To the surprise of no one, Korea’s Yu-Na Kim won the gold, with Japan’s Mao Asada getting the silver, and Canada’s sweetheart, Joannie Rochette the bronze. Perhaps the biggest surprise was America’s youthful Mirai Nagasu who came in fourth. Miki Ando of Japan was fifth, Finland’s Laura Lepisto sixth, and America’s Rachael Flatt seventh.

Kim was fantastic. She broke all the records and deserved to do so. With the pressure of having to win so as to not let down her country, she went out on the ice and did some awesome jumps combined with beautiful ...

• artistry.

I felt bad for Asada, who I think feels like an outcast from Japan already. She shouldn’t. She performed a masterful program, heavy on jumps. She had one small miscue, but her dramatic skate was worth the silver.

Rochette may have won the bronze on sentiment. Her program was beautiful, but she had a couple of errors. I question her scores when compared to Rachael Flatt, who I think skated as well as Rochette and yet was marked down harshly in deductions. Flatt skated a clean program while Rochette had those bobbles. I’m not convinced the scoring here was accurate at all. I don’t discount Rochette’s routine. I feel for her and see the strength it took her

to win the bronze in the face of her mother’s death, but with the mistakes and Flatt’s underscoring, it’s left me with a question mark in my mind.

Ando was marked too high. Her performance was high on jumps and low on emotion and artistry. It felt sluggish. She hit the moves, but there was no fluidity to it at all. For her to be above Flatt is definitely not right.

As for Nagasu, she skated beautifully. I’m very happy for her finish. Was she better than Rochette? I don’t know. She had a clean skate that was on fire.

For me, the bronze leaves me with a lot of uncertainty. That said, the ladies performed beautifully and it was a pleasure to watch them.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 3526021008180328/k2311a0226/2.26.10