Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics - Nordic Combined - Men’s Individual Large Hill
  • I was surprised really just how much I was rooting for my countrymen, but I really wanted us to get firmly out of the hole

• by Orrymain

America finally struck through the Nordic Combined barrier for the Olympic games. For decades upon decades, the USA has been shut out of these events, never scoring any medals. Finally, during the Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics, we’ve made some headway.

The Men’s Large Hill event is in two parts — ski jumping and cross country. I

was surprised really just how much I was rooting for my countrymen, but I really wanted us to get firmly out of the hole. We’d already won medals in two other Nordic Combined events, but this one had the potential for gold.

The ski jumping portion was a little on the frustrating side. They had a tailwind that kept interfering with the jumps. Skiers were pulled off the top quite a bit, including my guys, Bill DeMong and Johnny Spillane. You could tell it was hard on them. Some of the skiers just raised their hands after making disappointing jumps. The weather certainly messed things up for some. DeMong finished ...

• Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics - Nordic Combined - Men's Individual Large Hill
      6th and Spiillane 2nd, so they were in position.

It’s the cross country portion that has traditionally been the most difficult. Sweden and Norway are usually the forerunners of this segment, but somehow, the USA got out front and stayed out front. It was a thrill to watch.

There was a scary moment when Spillane fell right before

entering the stadium, but it was just a slight mishap and he quickly recovered.

Austria’s Bernhard Gruber hung with the Americans, but before hitting the stadium, DeMong made a charge for the gold, Spillane followed for the silver, and Gruber just couldn’t catch up and settled for the bronze.

It’s not always fun to watch cross country, but it was on this day.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 3526021008170328/k2311a0226/2.26.10