The Phoenix Zoo  » Travel  »
455 North Galvin Parkway, Phoenix, AZ, 85008
  • If you're heading to Phoenix any time soon, consider checking out the Phoenix Zoo for a fun way to spend an afternoon
  • For these reasons, I would suggest visiting the Phoenix Zoo in October-March for the most comfortable experience
  • There are some shaded areas, and even some misters I believe, but they can be few and far between
  • Just be prepared for the cost of admission, as well as any food, drinks or souvenirs you may desire (or get talked into by a very convincing child for whom you are responsible)
  • It's just a fun thing to do, and there are so many amazing things to see and people to meet during a day at the zoo

• by Jenn

If you’re heading to Phoenix any time soon, consider checking out the Phoenix Zoo for a fun way to spend an afternoon. When my family and I used to live near Phoenix, in the beautiful Valley Of The Sun, a trip to The Phoenix Zoo was always a great treat for my son. Whenever out of town family would come to see us, we would make sure to carve out some time to take them to walk around the Phoenix Zoo and take in the sights.

The biggest drawback at this zoo is the price. In this economy, I feel $16 is a lot for each adult to have to shell out for a place that is largely geared towards

the kids. Thankfully, kids under 12 get into the zoo for just $7, and as long as Grandma and Grandpa are over 60, they also get through the gates at a reduced rate ($11 for seniors). However, the admission money supposedly goes right back into the zoo, and helps provide for the animals care, so I don’t mind the price too much.

The other drawback is just the combination of the size and lack of shade. For such a big Phoenix attraction, you would think some thought would go into the fact that the very young and very old were going to be a large chunk of their patronage, and those are two groups that can’t tolerate as extreme conditions as everyone else. In Phoenix, in the summer, it can be 110 degrees! For these reasons, I would suggest visiting the Phoenix Zoo in October-March for the most comfortable experience. There are some shaded areas, and even some misters I believe, but they can be few and far between.

I really want to see everything each time I visit the Phoenix Zoo, but it can just feel impossible on a hot day. The animals are spaced pretty far apart in some cases, and some exhibits, like the Big-Horn Sheep, are so far removed from the main part of the park that it is really a chore to go visit with them.

However, by and large, the Phoenix Zoo really can be ...

• The Phoenix Zoo
      a great place to spend the day. Just be prepared for the cost of admission, as well as any food, drinks or souvenirs you may desire (or get talked into by a very convincing child for whom you are responsible). These “extras” aren’t cheap at the zoo, either.

There IS a pretty decent variety of food, at least! You can get regular salads, chicken caesar salads, chicken sandwiches, burgers, fries, hot dogs and nachos at the various food windows and snack carts throughout the zoo. Whatever you think each item you want should cost normally, add $2, add it all up, and you’ll have your lunch budget.

Of course, the main attraction at the Phoenix Zoo is the animal exhibits!There

are several dozen impressive species on display at this zoo, including Cheetah, Mexican Grey Wolf, Squirrel Monkey, Baboon, Zebra, Rhino, Giraffe, and of course, Lion, Tiger and Bear, oh my!

As far as enclosures go, I often feel bad for zoo animals. There are a few areas, like the tiger enclosure, that just seem a little sad to me. Still, I think zoos are very important in terms of education, and I know the Phoenix Zoo staff love and care for their animals deeply, and it shows.

I would recommend a trip to the Phoenix Zoo anytime, to anyone! It’s just a fun thing to do, and there are so many amazing things to see and people to meet during a day at the zoo!

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 3825021006310928/k2311a0225/2.25.10