Jekyll and Hyde Pub - Greenwich Village - NYC  » Restaurants  »
91 7th Ave, New York, NY, 10014
  • One thing I love about Jekyll and Hyde Pub is the kooky feel of the place
  • If you're a tourist from out of state who doesn't visit NYC often, I definitely suggest you stop by and see what all the fuss is about

• by Jenn

When we lived back east, my husband and I used to love going to the theme restaurant Jekyll and Hyde’s in New York City. There are two, and this review is of the downtown, Greenwich Village location. Jekyll and Hyde’s claims to be NYC’s only haunted restaurant, and follows loosely the tale of Dr. Henry Jekyll, who had a bit of a split personality, as you may recall.

One thing I love about Jekyll and Hyde Pub is the kooky feel of the place. The restaurant bills itself a great gathering spot for “eccentric explorers and mad scientists”, and it doesn’t disappoint when it comes to odd entertainment. Half of the art, knick knacks and decorative touches in the restaurant itself come to life and start moving at random intervals, displaying lit-up eyes and other unexpected features.

On our last visit, we were accosted several

times by the afternoon’s festivities’ host, a maniacal Jekyll employee dressed up in a white lab coat, bizarre glasses and a microphone. We got a repeat of this every fifteen minutes or so throughout our entire visit, though it wasn’t anywhere near as obnoxious as it probably sounds.

We got special treatment because the place was half empty when we went, however, if you are the shy type this might not be the place for you even on the busiest of nights. It is very common to be involved in the entertainment of the evening at Jekyll and Hyde’s, and it often seems the harder you try to blend in, the more you get singled out. It’s all in good, spooky fun though!

While the creepy decor comes to life, and the Jekyll staff get into the act with full gusto, the food and drink ...

• is another story. Not that there aren’t decent things on the restaurant’s extensive menu, I’m just not sure I’ve found them. Still, its hard to go wrong with a cheeseburger and fries! The food isn’t exactly cheap, so its best to stick with a sure thing.

Service isn’t especially quick on busy nights, though for a lunch visit you can expect to get in and out in about an hour, which isn’t bad. The wait staff is generally friendly, though the last time we were there our drink order was brought to the table wrong twice, and there really weren’t that many other customers in the place to get our order confused with!

As for the booze, you can get beer by the yard (those nifty, tall beaker style glasses you see at Mardi Gras or Spring Break), or a cocktail from the pub’s bar.

Whether you get a yard, a bottle or draft, you’ll be smart to stick with beer, or a straight shot of liquor, because the mixed drinks are notoriously weak at Jekyll and Hyde’s.

Overall, Jekyll and Hyde’s Greenwich Village location is a fun spot to check out if you’ve never been, and even if you have. I wouldn’t call it a favorite as far as food and drink, but the atmosphere is one of a kind.

This place may be a bit heavy on the “camp” factor, but no matter how hard you try not to, you will likely end up laughing and blushing at least twice by the time your meal is served! It is definitely original! If you’re a tourist from out of state who doesn’t visit NYC often, I definitely suggest you stop by and see what all the fuss is about!

John Bell says :

We visited Jekyll and Hyde s Greenwich Village location on a Tuesday. Using a group-on coupon for 4. We all thought the food entrees and appetizers were excellent. The drinks were very weak and the (cucumber?) vodka martini was the worst I have ever had. The entertainer tried her best, but many of the mechanical exhibits were not working and it came off as a poor showing. I had been to the restaurant before when the exhibits were working and this was a disappointment. When I received the bill I was given a $ 40 entertainment charge plus a large gratuity charge as well as the tax and some other charges. The entertainment charge is a new thing they have added. In the bathroom were an empty paper towel dispenser and a broken blower (I used my shirt tail as a dryer). Great food and broken exhibits.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 725021006280828/k2311a0225/2.25.10