Razor A Kick Scooter  » Other  »
  • Though the scooter essentially resembles a skateboard with a steering stick, I decided to let him give the scooter a try
  • He would always get a kick out of me on the scooter, but I really just wanted to experience the ride for myself before letting him jump on
  • I love the fact that the Razor Scooter folds up to carry it and to fit it in the car easily, but I really don't like the clip that locks the foot rail and wheels in place when the unit is folded at the handle bar
  • Overall, I like this scooter as a way for my son to get his exercise, but feel the design could be improved a bit in terms of portability and storage
  • I would recommend it for kids between 6-8 years old

• by Jenn

When my son got a new Razor Scooter for Christmas last year, I was a bit worried. I honestly thought that five years old was too young for such a sleek looking, fast scooter. I had seen these scooters in action, and just didn’t think he was ready.

The one he was given is a Razor A Kick Scooter, which is solid metal, quite heavy and has two very slim, slick wheels and a thin metal foot rail on top of the wheels. The padded handlebars are comfortable and offer good grip for sweaty little hands. This is a great feature for our climate, because my son gets really sweaty when playing outside in the summer here in Tucson!

Though the scooter essentially resembles a skateboard with a

steering stick, I decided to let him give the scooter a try. After a few months of testing it out with my son, who is now six, I feel totally comfortable with him riding it. I have gotten on it a few times myself, just to test it out, and though it is quite small for me, I got a feel for how he might maneuver, steer and stop the device. He would always get a kick out of me on the scooter, but I really just wanted to experience the ride for myself before letting him jump on.

Watching him on it now, I can still see the potential for injury, but I always make him wear a helmet, and he seems to “scoot” pretty ...

• well! The ride is smooth, and he has a handle on the brake system. The steering and turning ability are really good, and he rarely falls.

I love the fact that the Razor Scooter folds up to carry it and to fit it in the car easily, but I really don’t like the clip that locks the foot rail and wheels in place when the unit is folded at the handle bar. It is so difficult for me to push the clip into the lock/unlock position that I usually end up jamming my fingers and giving up, sticking the scooter in my car in it’s working position.

When I try to to carry the Scooter left in the working poisition, though, the foot rail and wheel section swing wildly

about. It is a sure bet to whack your shins. And that heavy, sharp-edged metal does not feel good swinging back at your shins, I can speak from experience on that!

So I do wish the manufacturer would improve the locking mechanism so the Razor Scooter could break down more easily, or else lock into place so as not to swing. I suppose the latter would affect the nimble steering the Razor Scooter is famous for, but it sure would make it easier for Mom to carry to the car!

Overall, I like this scooter as a way for my son to get his exercise, but feel the design could be improved a bit in terms of portability and storage. I would recommend it for kids between 6-8 years old.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1225021006270828/k2311a0225/2.25.10