Reid Park Zoo - Tucson, AZ  » Travel  »
1100 South Randolph Way, Tucson, AZ, 85716
  • I love taking my young son to the Reid Park Zoo because it is an inexpensive way to spend the day
  • Another really fun thing we like to do at Reid Park Zoo is particpate in the giraffe experience
  • When I get hungry, I like to grab some french fries or maybe chicken fingers
  • I definitely recommend a visit if you're ever in Tucson, especially if you have kids

• by Jenn

Living in Tucson, I am lucky enough to have this great travel destination right in my backyard! Reid Park is one of my family’s favorite places to spend the day, and we always bring out of town guests for a day at the zoo! The Zoo is open from 9 am to 4 pm, though they do special events sometimes which include nights at the zoo. Those are so much fun! Check with the zoo for their current event calander.

I love taking my young son to the Reid Park Zoo because it is an inexpensive way to spend the day. Not cheap, but inexpensive. If it’s just going to be the two of us, I can get out of there for about $15 total. Admission for adults (me) is $7, and children 2-14 (him) is $3. If we decide to share a

snack and a drink, there’s another $5, easily. Not cheap, but for a few hours of fun, in the sun and with my son, its worth it!

All the animals at Reid Park Zoo are fun to watch, but we especially like the monkeys! There is a little area where you can go into a monkey exhibit, and get up close to these really tiny little creatures! Don’t worry, there aren’t any chimps or apes in here! I could stay in the monkey area for hours, just watching the monkeys look around at everyone, chatter and jump around on their little rope bridges.

Another really fun thing we like to do at Reid Park Zoo is particpate in the giraffe experience. At scheduled times during the day, you can purchase giraffe food (special leaves, if I remember correctly) and watch these incredibly big and ...

• beautiful animals as they come right up to the railing of their enclosure and eat out of the palm of your hand! Don’t forget the camera!

Besides giraffes and monkeys, there are also big cats, rhinos, a polar bear and even elephants. And keep an eye out for my favorite: the peacocks you may see strutting about! You can also get up close to the glass viewing windows and get some face time with a lion, or even a red-faced baboon!

When I get hungry, I like to grab some french fries or maybe chicken fingers. there’s also Dippin’ Dots ice cream at some of the Zoo’s food vendors. Yum! Steer well clear of the gift shop if you are on a budget, though, as you will be more than tempted by all the animal-related goodies inside!

Overall, the Reid Park Zoo is

a fun place to spend a morning. If you go in the afternoon in the summer, head over to the kids’ ‘Splash Zone’, where all are welcome to splash around and get wet. I like the fact that as you stroll the zoo, there are considerable patches of shade, which is essential when it’s 100 degrees outside (and which the much bigger, more famous Phoenix Zoo up north failed to plan for).

I’ve been to many zoos, and am often conflicted about the animals i captivity versus the need to study them and allow the public to get to know wildlife in a safe setting. This zoo puts me at ease (most of the time), where some zoos I’ve been to make me want to cry when I leave.

I definitely recommend a visit if you’re ever in Tucson, especially if you have kids!

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 3825021006260828/k2311a0225/2.25.10