Walzyr - Walgreen’s Allergy Syrup
  • I don't like putting my young child on lots of different medicines, but I needed to finally find something to put an end to his constant wheezing, hacking cough and miserable disposition
  • Since the doctor's just never seemed to get it right, and my son usually seemed just as miserable after everything they suggested, I decided to go with the pharmacist's idea
  • The light-colored liquid medicine had a sweet, almost banana flavor (though I think the bottle said grape
  • I'd recommend Walzyr to any parent who has a child with allergy issues that have not been well-controlled by other medications

• by Jenn

My son gets severe seasonal allergies, to the point where we regularly have go to the doctor, get breathing treatments and usually a prescription for some new medication. I don’t like putting my young child on lots of different medicines, but I needed to finally find something to put an end to his constant wheezing, hacking cough and miserable disposition.

After yet another visit to the doctor last year, I took my son’s prescription to Walgreen’s to get it filled. The pharmacy technician told me I

could get the medicine prescribed, but that he knew of an over the counter medicine that would be cheaper and might work just as well. He assured me that it would be fine to try his recommendation for a few days, and if it didn’t help, I could always fill the prescription.

Since the doctor’s just never seemed to get it right, and my son usually seemed just as miserable after everything they suggested, I decided to go with the pharmacist’s idea. He handed me a box of Walgreen’s brand Children’s Allergy Syrup, called Wal-Zyr. Wal-zyr is a play on “Zyrtec”, as this is a generic version of the popular name-brand allergy medication.

The light-colored liquid medicine had a sweet, almost banana flavor (though I think the bottle said grape!), and my son didn’t have any trouble gagging it down like he normally does with medications.

Well, am I ever glad I listened to that pharmacist! This little bottle of liquid has been a life-saver for my son’s allergy issues. I was ...

• Walzyr - Walgreen's Allergy Syrup
      surprised at how little I was supposed to give him, just one half teaspoon, and in all reality, sometimes he needs a full teaspoon (which is fine, the bottle says you can increase up to one teaspoon for his age and weight).

Still, this Walzyr syrup has helped his symptoms so much that we rarely have to make a doctor’s visit out of an allergy attack, which is so nice. It’s saving me a lot of money, too. Walzyr costs $8.99 for a bottle that

lasts for several months, and I’d say that is a remarkable savings over doctors copays and prescriptions!

I’d recommend Walzyr to any parent who has a child with allergy issues that have not been well-controlled by other medications. For us, this one is a winner, and it was so much easier to have my son take this than to have him endure painful allergy tests. I don’t care what strain of pollen he’s allergic to, I just want to make him feel better! Walzyr does that!

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 2625021006250828/k2311a0225/2.25.10