Lodge Pro Cast Iron Griddle  » Housewares  »
  • After discovering the joys of cast-iron cooking with my new Lodge Dutch Oven, I decided the next logical step was to get a true cast-iron griddle
  • After shopping around, I paid about $40 for my griddle at Amazon
  • The thing I love is that one side of the Lodge Pro Griddle is ridged, for indoor grilling, and the other side is flat
  • I think it only weighs about ten pounds, but the very thin, long design make it feel like twenty
  • For $40, I doubt you'll be disappointed with the quality

• by Jenn

After discovering the joys of cast-iron cooking with my new Lodge Dutch Oven, I decided the next logical step was to get a true cast-iron griddle. I chose this Lodge Pro Cast-Iron Griddle, which is a reversible griddle and grill designed to fit over two burners on a standard home stove. I picked this product for both the simplicity it seemed to offer, and the price. After shopping around, I paid about $40 for my griddle at Amazon.com, and qualified for free shipping. I’m still satisfied this was a good deal.

I knew the griddle would be heavy, but when I picked up the Amazon box to bring it inside, gone were any romantic visions of an easy to manuever apparatus! When I took the griddle out of the box, I read the user tip sheet and learned that it was pre-seasoned with Crisco vegetable oil in a high temperature oven during manufacturing,

so I didn’t have to worry about seaosning, which is so often the case with new cast-iron cookware. That was really nice!

The thing I love is that one side of the Lodge Pro Griddle is ridged, for indoor grilling, and the other side is flat. The flat side is perfect for eggs, pancakes, bacon and so many other foods. I would suggest using the flat side to get the most even heating, but the gorgeous grill marks I can achieve on the ridged side of this griddle rival any I get on my full size outdoor grill!

So far I have made chicken kabobs, grilled fish, and steak on the ridged side and grilled onions, eggs, pancakes, bacon on the flat side. It takes some trial and error to decide which side is better for various foods, but that’s just more test food to nibble on!

There are only two things that are a bit ...

• of a pain. For one thing, the cast-iron is just so heavy! This isn’t a product flaw, just a fact, so be prepared. I am very slight, and it can be hard for me to handle the griddle, mainly when it is hot. I think it only weighs about ten pounds, but the very thin, long design make it feel like twenty.

The other thing that is a bit odd for me is how you clean the Lodge Pro Cast-Iron Griddle. You don’t use soap! Or if you do, just a few drops of a very mild dishsoap. Warm water and a dish scrub brush or paper towels are all that should routinely come in contact with your griddle. There will be a greasy, oily brown layer that you will not fully be able to remove, but the surface should be free of stuck on pieces of food or char. That film is the

’season’ and is actually a good thing.

Once it is dry, you should oil it lightly with a paper towel soaked in a bit of vegetable oil. Yes, I just said you are supposed to store the “clean” griddle oily. I know! Weird, huh? But that is what the manual recommends!

Overall, for the price, quality and performance, I rate this Lodge Pro Cast-Iron Griddle a solid nine! I recommend it for anyone who loves grilling, but can’t (or won’t) do it outdoors often enough to get the hang of that cooking style. Also, so convenient for big families at breakfast. I can only make two or three pancakes at a time in a medium-large skillet, but on my Lodge Pro, I can whip up 6-8 at a time! Such a time saver.

Give it a try! For $40, I doubt you’ll be disappointed with the quality. With proper care, this baby can last several lifetimes!

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 5325021006230828/k2311a0225/2.25.10