Van Saun County Park - Paramus, NJ  » Travel  »
216 Forest Avenue, Paramus, NJ 07652
  • You can't beat $2 for adults (I think it might be $3 for non-Bergen County residents), and $1 for children over the age of 12
  • Unfortunately, the enclosures are often not adequate for the animals living within them
  • I recommend this zoo because it is a longtime family favorite, and I have so many good memories here, but I do wish the animals had more room

• by Jenn

Growing up in Bergen County, New Jersey, there weren’t alot of zoos and aquariums nearby. However, we had one gem: Van Saun County Park & Zoo! I have been there more times than I can count, and now enjoy taking my son when we visit family back east.

If you’re passing through Northern New Jersey and need to fun place to spend an afternoon with the kids, don’t miss a trip to Van Saun Park & Zoo. Get there early in the day for decent parking, though, this is a popular spot! The zoo closes around 4 pm if memory serves me, but call ahead to confirm details if you

decide to visit.

Inside Van Saun Park itself, there are plenty of picnic tables and grassy fields and woodland to picnic at, and even a pony stable for kids to take a pony ride! But my main focus here is on the zoo, so on to that!

My favorite thing about the Van Saun Zoo is the price! You can’t beat $2 for adults (I think it might be $3 for non-Bergen County residents), and $1 for children over the age of 12. Children under 12 get in free! The drawback? You must pay with cash! Yes, even in 2009, the last time I visited, I had to pay cash.

There is a train ride out front for the kids, and the price is also fairly inexpensive. I think it was $3 last time we actually went on the ride, which was when my son was about three, in 2006. It isn’t a very long ride, but it takes you all around the zoo, and past the bison and bald eagle exhibit, which is fun.

Inside the Van Saun Zoo, you will find two or three dozen different species of animals, with typically a few of each species in their respective enclosures. Unfortunately, the enclosures are often not adequate for the animals living within them. After my last visit, I was actually a bit ...

• Van Saun County Park - Paramus, NJ
      concerned for a few of the animals I saw, including one of the cows or bulls in the livestock exhibit. They animal looked dirty, and his hooves were in bad need of clipping.

Also, I hardly ever saw a staff member on the ground, except when I lit a cigarette. Then one came out of the woodwork to tell me to put it out. I did, after I finished it. Anyway, the Van Saun Zoo isn’t very big, so a good hour and a half is about all the time you need to take it all in.

Do not miss the antics that go on in the large spider monkey enclosure towards

the back of the zoo! These guys are my favorite critters at Van Saun. They are usually very active and playful, and are sure to entertain.

There are some mountain lions, in a slightly too-small enclosure, who often pace and amke me sad for them. Some animals maybe shouldn’t be in such a small zoo…There is also a very nice aviary, with turtles and even American Alligators basking on the shore! Photo opportunities abound at this zoo, because the animals are mostly presented very “up close”.

I recommend this zoo because it is a longtime family favorite, and I have so many good memories here, but I do wish the animals had more room.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 3825021006200828/k2311a0225/2.25.10