Sony Walkman SRF-59  » Electronics  »
  • Sony has also included a DX/LOCAL switch designed to improve reception and limit radio wave interference but my experience leaves me with the impression this does little or nothing to improve reception
  • I do enjoy talk radio on occasion and have noticed increased interference on AM channels as opposed to local FM channels
  • Distortion really isn't a problem, especially at volume levels suited for safe use
  • I bought Sony Walkman SRF-59 AM/FM Radio for $14.97 with the full knowledge I was purchasing a very basic AM/FM radio

• by BlueJay

I recently picked up the Sony Walkman SRF-59 AM/FM Radio as an exercise companion as well as the ability to listen to news during the day at the office. I purchased this with no advance research what-so-ever. When I selected this radio there was an extremely limited selection. Since I had complete trust in the Sony name brand and the retail price was more than fair, I made the purchase.

The Sony SRF-59 came with a pair of headphones as well as a detachable belt clip. I was immediately struck

by its light weight. Even with the battery inside, the entire radio is approximately 3 oz. You’ll love the idea you can barely notice you have something clipped on as you walk or exercise. The size is also a plus for me. Even with the belt clip included, the entire device is only about 2-5/8″x3-3/4″x1-1/4″.

Sony designed this model to be powered by a single 1.5V AA battery making it pretty cheap to use. I’m really surprised at the minimal drain of power and extended battery life. Sony rates this model with an output power of 3.6 mW at 10% harmonic distortion using the supplied headphones with 32 ohm impedance.

The radio controls seem nearly unchanged from any old transistor radio I owned in the late 60’s. Both the tuner and volume are controlled by simple analog turn dials. I will say both dials do stay firmly in place where you set them even if you’re walking - leaving the station tuned correctly and the volume steady.

Sony has also included a DX/LOCAL switch designed to improve reception and limit radio wave ...

• Sony Walkman SRF-59
      interference but my experience leaves me with the impression this does little or nothing to improve reception. I do enjoy talk radio on occasion and have noticed increased interference on AM channels as opposed to local FM channels.

I would have loved it if the radio had a built in speaker for use without the headphones since there have been occasions where I would have preferred to use the radio without headphones. Despite this limitation, I’ve found the headphones to be extremely comfortable to wear and do a great job

putting out plenty of sound for a device under $15.00. Distortion really isn’t a problem, especially at volume levels suited for safe use. I also would have preferred the dial scale window would have the ability to light up. Lack of a lighted window means there are occasions where you have to thumb the tuner dial blindly in search of a station.

I bought Sony Walkman SRF-59 AM/FM Radio for $14.97 with the full knowledge I was purchasing a very basic AM/FM radio. Five months after my original purchase, I still like the radio.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1625021005021128/k2311a0225/2.25.10