Chow-Chow Dogs as Pets and Insurance Premiums
  • It was then that I decided to research all of the negative feedback chows have received and set the record straight
  • I realized however, that what I was seeing on the internet, and what my personal experience with chows had been are two different things
  • Just as I believe there are no bad children, just really bad parents, such is my belief about pets
  • But to stereo-type a specific breed and raise the cost of insurance premiums

• by Texaslady

It wasn’t until I was thinking of changing my homeowner insurance company that I was alerted to the possibility that there was negative feedback regarding pet Chow-Chows. I asked the agent about this, and she had advised that rates were higher for those with Chows due to the added liability. What added liability? It was then that I decided to research all of the negative feedback chows have received and set the record straight.

I have had chowsas pets for close to 20 years. These chows are my babies, and not once has any of them snapped or bitten anyone. As a matter of fact, my chow-babies are just like big teddy bears! I realized however, that what I was seeing on the internet, and what my personal experience with chows had been are two different things.

Yes, I assume that chows can be aggressive. ANY

pet can be aggressive at times, depending upon his surroundings. HUMANS can be aggressive at times, but you don’t see them raising insurance rates over it.

My chows bark when someone enters our backyard other than us. They are doing their jobs. They bark when the doorbell rings. So what?

How else are they supposed to alert us that someone is here? That is how they talk! That is how all dogs talk!

Regardless of the breed, I am convinced, that all pets and breeds will have the temperament that is instilled in them at an early age. Just as a child grows up to be either happy or angry, so it is with pets. All of my pets have been raised with love, understanding, and having their needs met. We laugh, we cuddle, we play, and we eat.

They are treated with the utmost dignity ...

• and respect, and lots of love. I raise my pets the same way a loving mother would raise her child. Just as I believe there are no bad children, just really bad parents, such is my belief about pets. There are no bad breeds and no bad pets, - only really bad pet parents who either can’t or won’t give their pet the love, care, and nurturing they deserve and need. Instead of stereo-typing breeds, maybe we should take a closer look at the parents of these breeds. If you want to raise my homeowner insurance premium for being a bad pet parent, then so be it, - I deserve it, I have it coming. But to stereo-type a specific breed and raise the cost of insurance premiums? Until someone can prove to me that it is indeed the breed and not the pet parent causing the behavior, to
        me it’s just another tactic to give the insurance companies a reason to get more money from the consumer.

I will continue to be the proud Mom of Chow-Chows, and love every single minute of it. My Chow babies are intelligent, alert, and most of all, very loving and affectionate and have never posed a threat to anyone. They do need love, affection, and their needs met, such as food and water, just like the rest of us. They are not a breed to be ignored, and if you are ignoring them, then you shouldn’t have a pet in the first place. As with any breed, people need to realize that their parenting has the most affect on the temperament of their children, traditional or otherwise. If you don’t want to be a loving parent, then don’t have kids, traditional or otherwise. It’s really not any more complicated than that.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 2925021005011128/k2311a0225/2.25.10