Canon PowerShot S5 IS 8 megapixel
  • The reason why I bought this camera was because I needed a backup to my G10 that only had 5 times optical zoom built-in
  • With a memory of 32mb I can only take a few pictures at the highest setting so I had to buy a 4gb SDHC flash card for it to have a lot more space to take as many photos as I want and choose the best ones to keep later on down the road which is awesome
  • I was quite disappointed with the four alkine batteries that canon provides it’s costumers with as they run out pretty quick and they are not rechargeable
  • Overall, I think it is a good product to invest in and I am quite pleased with it

• by hugolord

The Canon PowerShot S5 IS is another one of my many cameras and it is one I feel should really be reviewed!

Canon Powershot digital cameras are expensive products, no doubt about it. Because of this I expect them to be of high quality so I will be more critical about it than usual.

The reason why I bought this camera was because I needed a backup to my G10 that only had 5 times optical zoom built-in.

The PowerShot S5 IS is a marvelous machine with a stunning optical

lens ultra-zoom of 12x!

This of course is not the only great feature of this camera.

It must be noted again that as this is a semi-professional camera it is very expensive but I was willing to buy it due to its stupendous performance.

The camera offers an ISO of up to 1600 with 8 megapixel pictures.

Another feature that differentiates this product is its rotatable LCD which at first might seem a useless little feature but it honestly comes often when shooting at difficult angles to take photos.

With ...

• a memory of 32mb I can only take a few pictures at the highest setting so I had to buy a 4gb SDHC flash card for it to have a lot more space to take as many photos as I want and choose the best ones to keep later on down the road which is awesome.

It streams as a peripheral device like most digital cameras through USB.

The camera also comes with a Canon CD which contains a digital copy of the also received printed manual of the camera

as well as many other features of photo editing and troubleshooting.

I was quite disappointed with the four alkine batteries that canon provides it’s costumers with as they run out pretty quick and they are not rechargeable.

As a tip for possible S5 IS buyers, I bought 4 rechargeable batteries that prove to be a lot more long-lasting.

Another draw-back is that the S5 IS does not support RAW image like my G10 which is rather disappointing.

Overall, I think it is a good product to invest in and I am quite pleased with it.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 4325021004891128/k2311a0225/2.25.10