Barnes and Noble Nook ereader
  • That's when I decided to purchase the nook from Barnes and Noble
  • It cost the same amount, at $260, and I spent another $70 for a two year warranty
  • I love it and highly recommend it, despite the little quirks and the freezing

• by Anasuya

I am an avid book reader. If I had a bookstore near where I live, I would probably read two or more books a week. As it is, I’m stuck with a very limited number of choices from our local drug store and grocery store. I purchased the Kindle, from Amazon, but after only eight months the battery died. They wanted to charge $80 to replace the entire device, since there is no replaceable battery, and I was fed up with it. There wasn’t nearly enough choices in the kinds of books I typically read, and there seemed to be glitch after glitch with the device. That’s when I decided to purchase the nook from Barnes and Noble. I had read other reviews, and some of them listed a few cons, but I was willing to test it out myself because it still seemed like a better deal than the kindle in the long run. It cost the same amount, at $260, and I spent another $70 for a two year warranty. Not sure if that was worth it, but we’ll see. Two years will tell the tale on that one.

So it arrived in a timely manner and I charged it and started playing around with it immediately. And, almost immediately, it froze on me. I went to take the tutorial by hitting the appropriate buttons on the little touchpad at the bottom of the device, and it froze completely.

It was an easy fix though. I just hit the power button and hold it for fifteen seconds or so, and it shuts itself off (called a hard power down or something), and then you hit the power button again and you’re back in business. I’ve had it freeze on me like that a couple of times since it arrived only two weeks ago, but it’s nothing insurmountable, and just requires a little patience. It seems to happen most when I don’t allow it enough time to load a new book, or start up when first turned on.

But otherwise, I really love my nook! It was easy to learn how to use. It has a 160 page user guide that’s stored on it, so you can read it any time and don’t have to keep up with a seperate book, and should your nook ever stop operating, you can view the user guide from the Barnes and Noble website. And you can visit a BArnes and Noble store with your nook to get help using it or figuring out features, and also you get special offers and discounts when you take it to a store and connect to their WiFi. Not sure how this works yet, as I haven’t made it to the store with it yet, and so far they’ve been a little misleading with their advertising for the nook.

Battery life is NOT 12 days. Unless you’re only ...

• reading from it for an hour a day. When I start a book, I finish it, so I use my nook for seven hours at a time. It stays charged for about two days at this rate, which still isn’t bad. I’m able to finish two books off of one charge.

Barnes and Noble says they have thousands of free ebooks. They don’t. The free ebooks are only available (as far as I can tell) from their website, and I’ve only found a hundred so far. Perhaps they switch them out every few weeks for different ones, I don’t really know yet. But a hundred is hardly thousands. And, half of them aren’t truly books. Some are short stories, some are novellas that people like you and me have written, so they aren’t examples of masterful writing. Some of them are only samples of books you’d otherwise have to pay for if you want the whole thing. BUT, they ARE free, and I’ve managed to find four or five free whole books that were quite enjoyable, so I can’t say I’m too upset about how misleading this bit of advertising was. Free is still free.

It’s very easy to purchase books, and should your nook ever break or malfunction, all the books you’ve purchased are stored on your Barnes and Noble account online, and you can just sign in and download them all to a new device, or to your computer

or a flash drive. You can download music to the nook, but I can’t see how or why this would be a plus. Who wants to listen to music when they are reading? And no one would carry around a device this size to listen to music.

Someone suggested I get an ipod touch since there are apps for ereaders, but the screen is not nearly large enough for reading, and the glowing ipod touch screens are bad for the eyes. With the nook, the screen is large, with no glare, and looks like a page from a book, and not a computer screen. It’s a light device, and there are “book covers” and cases you can get for it to protect it. I’ve really loved my nook in the past two weeks and have managed to read 9 books! The prices are comparable to a %30 discount at Barnes and Noble, so you aren’t really saving a ton of money unless you’re normally purchasing hardbacks, at which case you can save %60 by purchasing the ebook for your nook. But, it’s the convenience factor I love. I don’t have the space for thousands of books anymore (and I did have thousands at one time), and with this device, I can store a few thousand books on it (with a memory card), or 1500 books without a memory card. I love it and highly recommend it, despite the little quirks and the freezing.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1624021004421128/k2311a0224/2.24.10