Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics - Figure Skating - Ladies Short Program  » Sport  »
  • I think more than ever before I'm enjoying these moments
  • What I thoroughly enjoyed about the short program is that the women skated wonderful programs
  • Where the medals are concerned, this is about being the best of the best, and it's so nice to see these programs so close together

• by Orrymain

Australia’s Cheltzie Lee gave a nice, clean program. There was nothing technically awesome about it, but she’s living her Olympic dream. She received a score that was her personal best. I think more than ever before I’m enjoying these moments. Medals are wonderful, but it’s the spirit of the Olympic games, of being there, that seems more important to me this year. Lee was all smiles and cheered when she saw her score. That’s a smile that made me smile, and there’s no medal to go with

it.

Korea’s Yu-Na Kim finished the night in first place, several points ahead of the field, with Mao Asada of Japan is in second. Yu-Na had a terrific piece where she played James Bond. It was cute and sharp. Her ending pose was a hoot. Her costume was just lovely as well.

The sentimental darling of the Olympics is Canada’s Joannie Rochette, whose mother had a heart attack and died just two days before the event. Rochette, with the support of her father, decided to skate anyway. She’s in ...

• third. She actually got through her program with a steady heart, but once it was over, she just let go, tears flowing. I hope she felt the hug of the stadium. Everyone was on her side this evening.

>From Japan, Miki Ando ended the evening in fourth, barely edging out America’s Rachael Flatt, who delivered a strong program. I’m not sure Ando was better than Flatt. This would be my one contention from the night. I didn’t think she was as good all around as Flatt was.

Mirai Nagasu

of the USA had a beautiful outfit and skated cleanly. I wasn’t that crazy about her music, but she skated her heart out. In fact, she gave herself a nosebleed. She’s sixth and not out of the medals. You just never know.

What I thoroughly enjoyed about the short program is that the women skated wonderful programs. They were sharp, clean, and with few misses. Where the medals are concerned, this is about being the best of the best, and it’s so nice to see these programs so close together.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 3524021004201028/k2311a0224/2.24.10