Dear John by Nicholas Sparks  » Books  »
  • But sadly, I think Nicholas Sparks failed to follow through
  • I noticed that none of his succeeding works comes close to The Notebook
  • If I bought the paperback, I would have regretted the money I used to buy it

• by Collette

I used to be a fan of Nicholas Sparks. The Notebook is perhaps his greatest achievement as a writer to date. It was superbly written that grew popular to almost all hopeless romantics around the world. But sadly, I think Nicholas Sparks failed to follow through. I noticed that none of his succeeding works comes close to The Notebook. In fact, after reading a couple of his other novels, I felt that the love stories were all the same. Nicholas Sparks is fond of sad

endings that I later on found his novels quite predictable. There just had to be a sad twist somewhere towards the ending.

Nevertheless, I picked up Dear John hoping that I would find some new formula for a change. I was hoping this will be different because it caught the interest of movie producers and was turned into a movie. But unfortunately, I found nothing new. Though the plot was not a tragedy, it was still a sad ending.

It was easy to guess the story all the ...

• way. The story was very ordinary that I wonder why of all novels was this chosen to be turned to a movie. In fact, the story was kind of flat. No character was developed from start to finish. Halfway through, I was beginning to doubt Nicholas Sparks’ ability to make my heart melt once more while reading his boook.

If there is anything nice about Dear John, it’s that I only read the ebook format. If I bought the paperback, I would have regretted the money I

used to buy it. Any friend of mine could easily spice up such a story as was told in Dear John.

For me, this is the last blow. Nicholas Sparks could not do another The Notebook. I’d hate to stop believing in the man, but I think he does not have the ability anymore to spin another heart swooning love tale. After being dismayed with Dear John, I’ve decided to stop following his works and just continue to embrace The Notebook as if it were his last.

Dear John by Nicholas Sparks

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1724021003600628/k2311a0224/2.24.10