USED CARS,AS IS,IN CALIFORNIA  » Cars  »
USED CAR LOTS IN CA
  • I was happy to see that thirty (30) days are allowed to realize if important things like alternators, engines, etc. are 'out' on the used car
  • DO pay attention to what IS wrong with the car or truck, should you find a major problem within 30 days

• by covenly1
      It was just this month, that my adult son was able to buy a used car from a used car dealership, in CA. The used car had a paper on the window stating: No Warranty………. As IS. I was with my son, and that kind of worried me, but, he purchased a car, paying cash. He was asked if he wanted to BUY the ‘bring in back in two days’ ‘insurance’.

He declined. As he drove off the lot, the exhaust pipe began to swallow him up with giant amounts of smoke! (The car had not done this during the test drive). I was following him, and we both pulled into a gas station to see what was going on! Sure enough, oil in the exhaust pipe. My son turned the car around, drove back to the dealership, and explained.

He said he would pick out another car……. and would expect a REALLY good deal, after that experience. My son picked out a nice Ford ZX2, and it ran well. After two days and just over 5 miles, it stopped running.

The battery was dead. That meant the alternator was bad, or the battery was just dead. We hoped it was just a dead battery, and he bought a new one. His car ran fine for 6 days, and then, it stopped.

It would not run. The alternator WAS out. I went on line, checking to see what was covered in the Lemon Law of CA, when it comes to USED CARS. I was happy to see that thirty (30) days are allowed to realize if important things like alternators, engines, etc.

are ‘out’ on the used car. After reading the ...

• laws, I contacted the dealership, telling them each step we had taken with the used car. The man offered me a free alternator, that I could ‘put in myself’. That was not acceptable, by law! I explained I did not WISH to put it in myself, but, that I had total confidence that HE had someone on his lot who could do a fine job for my son.

This was done. The point of this, is: Do Not Let The “NO WARRANTY, AS IS” sign scare you into believing that you have no recourse in CA. The buyer is protected from totally being tricked by used car dealers. Do not buy the 2 day insurance ‘to bring back the car if you decide you don’t like it’.

DO pay attention to what IS wrong with the car or truck, should

you find a major problem within 30 days. If the dealership gives you a problem, write them a letter, and have them need to sign to receive it. Lay out exactly what has shown to be a problem with the automobile. If it is a serious defection, and it is within 30 days, you have the right to (1) have the car fixed, (2) get your money back (3) get a different automobile from the lot.

I really think most people are not aware of this being a law for used cars, as well as for new cars. I want everyone to KNOW that used cars must be reliable, as well, when you purchase them…. if no disclosure of ‘the problem’ was made by the dealer. Know your rights! Do not be taken in by fast talkers.

I hope this helps at least one person!

Sorry, there are no related reviews at moment
    The review was published as it's written by reviewer in October, 2006. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 92710100300431/k2311a1027/10.27.06