The Lion King
The Grand Theatre, Shanghai, China
  • There were only 2 disappointments in my theatre experience

• by believin
      I was fortunate that a friend got tickets to view The Lioin King when I made my most recent trip to Shanghai. The show was very well done, with elaborate costumes and set. I loved the interaction of the cast with the audience.

It was a very self-reflexive performance, with addresses made to the audience being done very effectively. The costumes were especially wonderful, mimicking animals’ movements, without trying to BE animals.

With that awareness that the performance is

always imitation well in place, the actors were able to pull off the “deception” very well. There were only 2 disappointments in my theatre experience.

First, I was seated in the second level, next to a partition separating the two sections of the balcony from each other. The centre section was used during the performance, and the partition caused just a slight obstacle.

While it wasn’t important to the viewing experience that I be able to see what was going ...

• on there, I would’ve preferred to be able to see it (obviously). The second disappointment was that the role of Simba wasn’t played that night by the regular actor, but by his understudy.

Being that it was a Saturday night performance, which I presume is the most croded performance each week, I can only think that the regular actor was unavailable due to illness or something. The adult Simba’s voice was overpowered by all of the other actors’, and this was

particularly obvious in his duet with Nala.

But those disappointments didn’t negate the wonder of the experience in any way. The spectacle created by costumes and sets was fantastically effective.

The songs are even more fun on the stage. The story is endearing, as always.

The child actors were amazing. Even the translation into Chinese offered on the boards during the performance were very well-crafted.

It was a wonderful experience — one I am glad not to have missed.

The Lion King

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in October, 2006. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 592710100280431/k2311a1027/10.27.06