Practical Meditation with Buddhist Principles by Hinkler Books  » Books  »
  • Since I was already home sick with a cold this weekend, I thought I might take advantage of my down time to try out a Meditation program I had purchased a few weeks ago
  • In addition to the meditations on the DVD you experience the sights and sounds of nature as well as beautiful Buddhist artifacts
  • I would highly recommend this Meditation program to anyone seeking greater awareness, and fulfillment as well as those who may seek refuge from the stresses of modern life and strive for a more peaceful and balanced existence

• by Jude244

Since I was already home sick with a cold this weekend, I thought I might take advantage of my down time to try out a Meditation program I had purchased a few weeks ago. The Program, Practical Meditation with Buddhist Principles by Hinkler Books, contains a beautiful large 64 page guide book, a meditational DVD, and a special video message from the Dalai Lama.

The guide book includes beautiful full color images, and information on the history and philosophy of Buddhism. Topics included: The Four Noble Truths, The Nobel Truths of Suffering, The Way to Stop Suffering, The Eight fold Noble Path, The Ten Non-Virtuous Actions, The Buddhist Way to Enlightenment, Mindfulness, and The Certainty of Karma. It also contained mediations on a range of themes, and phrases to

meditate on.

The DVD includes nine selections to choose from once you are on the main menu. From here, you have an Introduction, Your Meditation Environment, Meditation and the Dalai Lama, How to Meditate, Breath Mediation, Attachment Mediation, Actions of the Body Mediation, Actions of Speech Meditation, and Actions of the Mind Meditation.

The first time I tried the meditation DVD, I set up my space in a room where I would have very few distractions. I used a cushion on the floor rather than a chair and refrained from using incense since my nose was already so sniffle prone. I then sat cross legged on the cushion and put my hands in the position shown on the DVD. Next I relaxed my neck and jaw, checked ...

• my posture and started the first meditation.

The first meditation I tried was introduced to quiet what was called the “Monkey Mind”, Here you have to focus on your breaths as they leave your nose or mouth in counts of 1-7. You are supposed to practice this sequence until you reach a sense of calm and peace. At first it was a little difficult not to become distracted but after a little while I got the hang of it.

The next meditation I tried was called the Attachment Meditation. In this exercise you are asked to contemplate if possessions make one truly happy forever or how, if we knew the impermanence of these phenomena; we would still suffer from attachment and desire or aversion and anger.

I really liked this program and hope to incorporate it into my weekly heath and fitness routine. The DVD is very tranquil and soothing and I can see how it would make an excellent tool to help combat stress, and anxiety. In addition to the meditations on the DVD you experience the sights and sounds of nature as well as beautiful Buddhist artifacts. Plus the book gives a nice overview of Buddhist principles as well as can be used in conjunction with the DVD to help understand the meditations more fully.

I would highly recommend this Meditation program to anyone seeking greater awareness, and fulfillment as well as those who may seek refuge from the stresses of modern life and strive for a more peaceful and balanced existence.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1723021002540928/k2311a0223/2.23.10