Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics - Alpine Skiing - Super-Combined
  • I thought it was interesting that he chose not to practice downhill at all, but put his time in on slalom

• by Orrymain

America’s Bode Miller finally won his gold medal at the Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics. It was in the Super-Combined Alpine Skiing event, a sport that combines one downhill run with one slalom run. Miller is known for being a downhill king of the slopes, but not being so great at the slalom runs. I prefer downhill myself. I thought it was interesting that he chose not to practice downhill at all, but put his time in on slalom. Actually, it

was a great decision. He really attacked the course, more than he normally would. It was a delight to see the ‘new’ Bode Miller win. I say ‘new’ because in Torino, he didn’t seem to care and was rather a bummer to watch. He’s really turned it around in Vancouver, and that makes it even more fun to watch.

I did feel a little bad for Norway’s Aksel Lund Svindal, who was the man to beat on Sunday for the event.

• He hooked a gate on the slalom, and didn’t finish. Everyone has a bad day.

I gasped a little with the USA’s Andrew Weibrecht fell right at the end of the hill and grabbed his shoulder. I hope his injury was more of an ‘ouch’ than anything more specific, but whatever it was, it looked like it hurt. He finished 11th overall.

Ivica Kostelic of Croatia was so fun to watch. I like this skier and his personality. He was heard congratulating

Miller and telling him that Miller deserved the gold. That’s a sportsman worthy of the Olympics.

It was a wonderful event, very exciting to watch. It’s scary when one of them goes off the track, but with all those slalom gates, I’m not surprised. The downhill is like being on a NASCAR track, which is my style, and then you get the slalom that is like having to stop a railroad crossing. It’s not my style. Never the less, I loved watching the Super-Combined.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 3522021002140928/k2311a0222/2.22.10