Lauara Ingalls wilder Home and Museum  » Travel  »
3068 Highway A, Mansfield, Missouri
  • We were a little rushed because my three year old was restless and my husband, although he enjoyed the history part of the visit, could take it or leave it

• by Sandi

Yahoo Messenger (required to be logged into Yahoo Messenger)

We go to Branson, Missouri for the weekend at least three or four times a year because we get yearly season passes to Silver Dollar City. On one of our trips this past summer we stopped at Mansfield, Mo. to check out the Laura Ingalls Wilder Home and Museum. I grew up watching Little House on the Prairie and eventually read all the Little House Books written by Laura Inglalls, so this was something I was really excited to see. My thiteen year old daughter has seen reruns of Little House as well as read a few of the books, so she too was looking foreward to the visit.

I didn’t know how much my husband would get out of it, because of all the pioneer history and artifacts and all, he ended up enjoying the visit as well as my daughter and I. My toddler had fun looking at stuff, but did get bored quickly, so we had to keep moving. Admission was eight dollars for my husband and I,

and four dollars for out teenager, and my toddler was free. This was good, because young ones really don’t get much out of this.

If someone has never read the Little House books or seen the shows, it may not be so meaningful for them either. For me, the Laura Ingalls Home was very sentimental. It took me back to the pioneer days I had imaginged when reading the books, only the visit made it even more real. The Laura Ingalls Wilder Home and Museum is located at Rocky Ridge Farm, a beautiful place in the ozarks surrounded by trees and rolling hills.

This is where Laura and her husband settled in their later years and where she wrote all of the Little House Books. The Museum tells of the pioneer history that Laura and others indured and worked to make a place in history. My husband really liked the museum. It really gave us all more of an appreciation for what the pioneers went through to get us to where ...

• we are today.

Without their hard work and endurance, no telling where we would be. I often here the phrase “in simpler times’, there was nothing simple about their life. They worked continually just to survive, wasn’t alot of free, relaxing time. As a family we have visited a lot of museums and attractions throughout the country.

The Laura Ingalls Home was one of my favorites. I paticularly like that it was all so real and true. It was like being right back in time. The houses were so rustic and cozy, yet so simple.

The first house was a little rock house Alonzo had built himself. As they became more financially stable they built a second home, a bit bigger. This is the house they spent their final years in and where Laura wrote her Little House books. Just being in here gave me chills, I felt so close to someone I had looked up to since I was a child.

I am so happy I got to visit the

Laura Ingalls Wilder Home and Museum. My daughter has since been reading the rest of the Little House books. She has even gotten more into them. Until we went to the farm, she hadn’t realized this was a real person, writing about her life as a pioneer growing up.

It means a lot more to her now. I would like to got back with my teenager sometime when we do not have out toddler with us. We were a little rushed because my three year old was restless and my husband, although he enjoyed the history part of the visit, could take it or leave it. We only got visit the gift shop briefly, but did get some nice post cards, since no picture taking is allowed in the museum or houses.

If you have ever watched the Little House shows on tv or read the books this is a must see. You will even have a better understanding and aprreciation for Laura Ingalls Wilder.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 3822021001840928/k2311a0222/2.22.10